Pirate 4x4 banner

Which axle????

874 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MochaMike 
#1 · (Edited)
I am building a small light tube buggy. My plans are Ecotec/powerglide to a Samurai t-case, Dana 30's front and rear (rear steer also) and 33's. My question is: I know I need a Jeep CJ Dana 30 for the pass side drop up front, now do I need a Ford front 30 (driver drop) or a Jeep (Pass drop) front 30 for the rear? I plan on just flipping the axle so the drop will be on the passenger side in the rear. I am thinking the Jeep axle will run the opposite way of the front ( Jeep axle) so therefore I will need a Ford Dana 30 to flip for the rear, am I correct?:rolleyes:

#2 ·
the ford dana 30 is low pinion, drum brake junk, with small joints.

Your best off to run XJ or TJ axle up front if you need drivers drop, since they are high pinion, and have bigger joints.

And flipping an axle over is going to make it run backwards, so you must either flip both, or neither..

#6 ·
Thanks for all the input. The XJ, TJ axles are not good to me due to they are driver side drop and too wide. My whole goal is flipping a stock front axle to go in the rear for instant rear steer. I am not really worried about the joint size due to the small 150hp engine. This buggy is being built to run the ATV trails. Should end up being 58" wide with a 90" wheelbase and is also single seat. I actually want narrow axles. The stock Dana 30 axle I had under my 77 CJ7 held up great to 39.5 swampers, never did I have an issue. They mainly saw mud and logging roads, and power line trails. I already have the motor, trans and x-fer case together and installed and a Dana 30 up front. After looking today, it will be a front Ford axle to go in the rear.

#9 ·
No offense, but a rear steer D30 is not gonna bold up, at all, regardless of tire size, if you want an engine size that may work, look for a Briggs & Stratton. Plus, check the areas of the ATV trails you want to run on. A lot of legal, park trails require that ATV's be less than 50" in width. Not sure were your located, but most of the NF ATV trails are like that around here.

#10 · (Edited)
I'd just go 44 front & rear.

Get a late 70s Waggy front for the front & an earl 80s Waggy front (DS Drop) & put it on the rear.

I think the 80s waggy is 5 lug (vs 6), so you'll either need Ford outers for the 70s front, or another 70s front set of outers for the other one.

They're about 60" wide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.