Pirate 4x4 banner

F600 4x4

9K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  TAWL_BOY 
#1 ·
I just got a 1973(?) Ford F600 4X4. I can't find any technical information about it. What I know is: it has a 330 V8 engine, 5 speed transmission (with PTO), divorced transfer case, and hydraulic drum brakes. I'd like to know the gear ratios of the transmission, transfer case, and what type of axles it has (axles have square tubes and the drive shaft yoke is in the normal place [not on the top]).
Thanks,
Harry

#3 ·
The rear axle is most likely a rockwell - with either a 4 or a 5 something ratio. I found a tag on the back of mine. I have a 70 B500 bus, but it has a 4 speed - an NP435. I'm pretty sure the 5 speed was supposed to be some sort of Clark medium duty transmission - probably no overdrive (1:1 in fifth).

There are some differences between the 330 and normal FE engines, too, and a standard 360/390 FE may or may not bolt in depending on that particular application.

#5 ·
I had a '75 F-600 and I replaced the 391 with a 390 for a short period of time. The major things that I remember that would affect the swap were the exhaust manifolds, flywheel and the front motor mount. The heavy duty FE used heat riser passages in the heads and the regular didn't. The flywheel was a larger diameter than the one that I got with the 390, that I got out of a pickup, and it had a balance weight cast into the flywheel. I had the extra metal cut off and never had a problem with any vibrations. IIRC there were some minor modifications needed to use the front motor mount from the 391 on the 390. There are more differences but they don't have much affect on actually mounting the engine.

Gus

#6 ·
I crawled under the truck today and read the tags on its axles. The front one said: FDS 75 HDX5 Ratio 6.8, the rear said: H 170NX 9 Ratio 06.83. I couldn't find the tags on the transmission or transfer case. Since these axles aren't the "top loader" kind, I don't think they will work on my '66 Bronco project. With 37 inch military universal tread tires the ground clearance of the center section is only nine inches. Looks like there maybe a 4X4 school bus camper in my future.
Thanks for the info.
Harry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.