Pirate 4x4 banner

2000 Dodge with a blown engine

617 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pbmang 
#1 ·
Ok, I have had a string of incredibly bad luck the last month. I have a 2000 Dodge 1500 2wd that I use for just hauling stuff around. Yesterday the oil pump crapped out on me and decided to take the engine with it :barf: I talked with Dodge, and they quoted me $5500 to put another 5.2L in there. My question is, what else could I put in there that would be pretty straight forward. I was thinking a 5.9L because the extra power would be really nice.

I know this isn't really extreme, but $5500 seems like a lot, espically with almost 1800 in labor alone. I have no idea how to install an engine, nor the tools to do so, but DAMN!

And as always, any help is EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

#3 ·
Dealers are not the place to get a vehcile fixed, ever IMO. I worked in a medium sized repair shop and we got dealer horror storys once a week. From the guy who needed a 120 dollar part to completly fix his problem that one of the local dealer wanted to put a 6000 dollar engine into(this is after he said no to a new truck they tried to bombard sell him). To the ladie who WE had to call the dealer to tell them what they were looking at, and HOW to fix her problem(it was a new car under warrenty).
Call Jasper Engine Company. They have they one of the best reman enignes availible hands down. Their warrnety is unheard of in the reman buisness. There quality control is amazing. You can in fact take a tour of any of their biulding facilitys. My boss did(55 yo ex so-call drag racer/biker, built 100 engines or so) and his pictures and explinations of what they do are amazing.
http://www.jasperengines.com/
As for installers, have you called your BBB yet? How about any NAPA car care centers? Look for a shop that is in high regard by the BBB, Napa Care Care Center, AAA Aproved repair, ASE Blue Seal, etc... I could go on. ALL of our techs at my old work(myself included) are ASE Master certified, and our diag tech is going for his A1 cert. We feel we are just barely adaquit. So go find a good, reccommended shop in your area and talk with them.

#4 ·
6k you can buy another dodge(ford)and part yours out :D

as you might think i used to own a dodge

1-constant front end problams

2-trans sliped from the day i bought it at 15k and the dealer fucked me around intil it completly went out at 54k 500 miles after my waranty expd:barf:

3-rearend went out 2k after paying $2300 for the trans :mad3: so i drove down and sold it to carmax and they thought the bad howling noise was the tires ( i smiled and said yea their kinda loud) and lol all the way home holding my check:flipoff2:

#5 ·
Ask around, or even Check out some crate engines from Summit.

Installing an engine is very easy, all you do is unbolt stuff.
I am sure where ever you live someone will be able to help you.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up talking with a buddy who has a brother who is a ford mechanic. He is going to help me put in a 5.9L

I wish I could just sell the truck, but I've got two years of payments left and it looks like this swap is going to cost about 3g's after the motor, new computer, wiring harness and torque convertor

Bayou, if you were closer I would take it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.