Pirate 4x4 banner

465 to 350 swap out

591 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  HalfFastFord 
#1 · (Edited)
tranny swap/ locker ?

ok, I know this has been done a million times, and I looked around but couldn't really find anything that fit my specific needs...

I've got an 87 1ton gmc 4x4 with a sm465/np205 combo.. I am having some trouble getting the clutch to cooperate and I'm not really all that interested in bothering with the stick shift off road, so I was thinking about swapping in a th350. I have a th350 that is bolted to an np203 (I think) and was wondering how difficult, or what I would need to bolt the 350 to the 205 and get that into the truck?

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot guys!!!

#4 ·
so the 350 will bolt right to the 205? or do I need an adapter of some kind?

the only reason I wanted to go with the th350 is because I've already got it
I'm running 42's with 5.13's and a small block 350 if that makes any difference?

#5 ·
also I was curious, what selectable locker should I run up front.. I was going to go with an electrac.. but heard bad things about it, so I guess it's between the arb air locker, or the eaton e-locker... any oppinions??

#6 ·
The adapter should work. I'm not sure of it's bolt pattern though. You problem will be the input shaft on the 205. It's the long style 32 spline. the T350 uses a short 27 spline with a drive coupler (splined sleeve). I'd look into making a doubler out of what you have.

for the selectable locker, OX had a manual cable actuated one that I'd like to try.

#7 · (Edited)
where should I look for that? or would I be best off just having someone do it all for me?

nevermind, I just reserched it.. aparently google works.. sorry.. haha

anyways.. would a th400 that was bolted to a np203 be the same output as the th350 bolted to an np203?? or would I need some adapting stuff to get it swapped over??

#8 ·
a late model T400 will bolt up to the current setup in the truck. The 465 and the late T400 both use the longer 32 spline input shafts as well as the same adapter.

the T400 uses a 32 spine output to the tcase, the T350 uses a 27, so, no they will not interchange without changing your tcase input shafts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.