Pirate 4x4 banner

yep, another tire thread...

778 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hylyf 
#1 ·
Right now I'm running Mastercraft Courser Mt's 35x12.5x15 on some blingy aluminum 15 x 10(maybe 12) Ultra aluminum rims. I've got my 15 x 8 black steelies sitting here waiting for some "real" tires.

97 TJ, I6, 5speed. I wheel in KY, some mud, lots of loose gravel with hard pan underneath, lots of steep and off camber stuff, some rocks.

I'm wanting to go with 35x10.5x15 boggers. I don't look to play in mud holes but you can't avoid them here. This is the only tire I could find from Interco in that size and I like the tall, skinny tire. The Mastercraft tires are very "balooney". They also seem to suck mud in and never let it go. Some red clay mud is unavoidable here.

How to cut them, siping or grooving?

If grooving, any pics/instructions on how you grooved your boggers?

ditto for siping, any pics or instruction siping boggers?

Thanks,

Tommy

See less See more
#2 ·
Why do you want to grove boggers? They get a TON of forward traction already. Have you ever driven a vehicle with boggers? DO you drive your vehicle on the road? Boggers are BARELY legal to drive on the steet, so they handle very poorly. They work AWSOME in the mud though for a tire you drive to the trails and back. I had a set of 35x16r16s for a while and loved them. Why do you want a tall skinny tire?

#3 · (Edited)
Why do you want to grove boggers?

Because I've read that they will do better on rocks/terrain other than mud and such once grooved.

They get a TON of forward traction already.

Great!, I'd love to leave the things alone and not do anything to them.

Have you ever driven a vehicle with boggers?

No. This Jeep is my first attempt at any offroading at all. Alt of my buddies who play in the mud love them but they never take to trails, just mud holes.

DO you drive your vehicle on the road? Boggers are BARELY legal to drive on the steet, so they handle very poorly. They work AWSOME in the mud though for a tire you drive to the trails and back.

My wheeling spot, Turkey Bay, is only 10 miles away. I do drive on the road now and then but my Jeeps usually in pieces when not on the trail, plus I have a shop with lifts and can swap out the road friendly Mastercrafts very quickly and do have trailer to tow my rig.

I had a set of 35x16r16s for a while and loved them. Why do you want a tall skinny tire?[/QUOTE]

Possibly because I'm fat and am projecting my insecurities on my tires.:laughing:

Seriously, I think a skinnier tire does better where I wheel. I may be wrong and will happily change my opinion in the face of evidence to the contrary but I'm usually on a fairly loose terrain with something solid underneath. I think a skinny tire does allright diggin down to the hard pan here. It may not be the best for all out muddin' or sand but I think it will do very well for me on Midwest US terrain. Also, I have swapped out my d35 for a d44 but I've got the d30 up front and I don't run chromaloy shafts, yet. I'm assuming the skinnier tires are much lighter?

That's why I'm askin' though. I may get TSL's if the boggers are really just for mud.

Thanks,

Tommy

this guy seems to make a decent argument for skinny tires.....

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

#5 · (Edited)
I thought hard about the ltb's but I read somewhere that the 34's were only 32" tall, does that ring true?

9" tsl's, hmmmm

Are the Q78's the Maxxis/buckshot tires I can't seem to find ANYWHERE? I've heard about Buckshot Q series but can't seem to locate any and I've googled them repeatedly?!

Tommy

BTW, everything I own is made by GM except my Jeep. I love my bowties!!!

#7 ·
Theres a thread going on right now about cut Boggers (wif pix even:D ). The only grooving they may possibly need is for lateral traction to prevent or at least limit side to side slippage like you might experience on a slippy side-hill.
If thats what your refering to, then yes it's done all the time.

I agree with you on pizza-cutters. They'll take ya anywhere unless your trying to float the mud at high RPM...then they just sink and dig.

#8 · (Edited)
Theres a thread going on right now about cut Boggers (wif pix even:D ).
I'm sorry for the redundant post and I did read that thread and I did see a pic of a grooved tire, I thought it was a tsl someone had grooved vs a bogger which may not matter but I don't know. I'll go back and check the thread again though.

I am about to purchase tires and am not real clear what you want to accomplish when grooving. Are you just breaking the big lugs up .25 inch deep any way you want or with a directional tire, do you consider that it's a directional tire when making the grooves and do it in a certain direction? I'm wondering if people had better luck with horizontal,dagonal,or vertrical grooves and then if you just do a nice straight line or make it a curve of some kind.

I don't wanna drop a grand on a set of tires just to screw them up, and I can be good at screwing things up.:shaking:

Tommy

edit: I googled this up and it answers my questions:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211704&page=3&highlight=groove+boggers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.