Pirate 4x4 banner

56 Jeep

491 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dhmoto111 
#1 ·
I have a chance to buy a 1956 cj for 1000. Its in good condition and everything works. The guy selling it has sold his house and is trying to get rid of it. Because it is a 56 the top speed with the 4 cyl is about 45 mph. Is there a transmition swap that would help improve the top speed. I know this is more that a little vague but I am open for any suggestions because I would like to buy the jeep but don't want to have to tow it everywhere.

#3 ·
The simplest way to get that Jeep to go a little faster is to install a Warn/Saturn overdrive. It bolts into the back of the transfer case inline with the output of the transmission. No other changes are required and you will be able to select between 1:1 and .75:1 in any gear, in 2wd or 4wd. They run about $1200 new or can be had for $500-$800 used. They were originally developed by Warn, but they sold off all of the tooling to Advance Adapters and AA now markets the unit as the Saturn overdrive.

An engine swap alone really won't make that Jeep go any faster. It's not the engine holding it back, it's the 5:38.1 gears in the differentials. That Jeep should have the F-head 4 cylinder. It's good for 75 hp when properly tuned and will make that Jeep go close to 60, without an overdrive, if you don't mind hearing it scream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.