Pirate 4x4 banner

what kind of moter do you guys run in your rig

1K views 37 replies 33 participants last post by  HecTiK 
#1 ·
Come on guys lets here it. What gets your beast from point A to point B.

#11 ·
Whats it in im putting one in my 91 gmc 3500. I bought the mounts on ebay and all I needed was a 3 inch body lift to clear the fire wall. Its in know but i need to make the inter cooler fit the core suport. But my intercooler is a banks one I think its a bit thicker than an oem one.

#18 ·
It's in my 91' 3/4 ton 4x4 silverado. But I'm really contemplating a 5.9 cummins because I do alot of towing with my excavator for work. I just don't know much about that swap, I can do all the fab work welding and stuff, but it might be worth just buying a 94 or newer ram with it in it already and sell my truck, i'm not sure yet.

So ur puting a cummins in ur gmc? can you give some details, what year engine, trans, are you using 4x4 etc... and what you've done already. Is there a article online where someones done it and explained whats involved? thanks

#20 ·
In the burb...468 BBC Dyno at 789HP/1012TQ at the flywheel on 200shot of Nitrous...I use to work at a machine shop and the guy got the block, crank and heads from a formula cigerett boat....and put a custom cam, rods, pistions in, gear drive, ect...Not sure the exact combo but it broke my 1-ton stuff like twigs...haven't broke any of the 2.5 ton stuff yet...when the nitrous hits it comes close to lifting the front out of the mud.

Also, I have a '79 chevy 3500 with a 454 and you guys talkin about the 5.9L cummins swap...I'm saving up to do that in this truck...I'm new to the whole diesel thing, but think it's worth the time just to say you did it, not to mention the aww...factor and like double the towing and effeciency of the gas 454 @ 6 miles a gal (towing the burban)...

#23 ·
Punched out Ford 5.0
Working on a 427 FSB stroker.

#24 ·
I'm just looking at the obvious, but i think if I had a 5.9l cummins with a 5 spd trans and transfercase, the only major things involved would be shortening/lenghtening driveshafts (not sure which until i get the motor installed). Making motor mounts, and trans mount, and working out the wiring, i think all i'd need is temp, tach, oil pressure, trans temp, and boost if i go turbo. I guess aftermarket gauges would solve all that, but i wonder if you could easily wire it up to some of the stock chevy gauges like temp, tach, and oil pressure. I wonder if the stock 3/4 ton differentials could handle the 5.9l torque

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.