Pirate 4x4 banner

welding a two piece carrier

560 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  D53 
#1 ·
So from what I understand I have a two piece carrier in my rear D70B. It came out of a 71 dodge motor home. And since I know that no one makes a spool for it, I was palnning on welding the spider gears, but my buddy was telling me that it might not be a good idea, that it might actually weaken the carrier, so I figured I would double check and ask around on here.

#4 ·
I used to have an eaton unit with a welded carrier and it did fine on the street, a little noise, and extra wear and tear on the tires but for road maners it was fine with 38.5 boggers. So I would imagine a D70 would hold up just as well, as long as you dont gas the corners to much. (and it probably depends on the weather in your area, i live in CA so mostly sun with a little rain, I cant speak for areas with a high snow rate)

#5 ·
Well I was thinkin about putting a locker in mine because it is actually my tow rig, but 500+ dollars is alot and I won't be able to afford that right now so the thought of welding it seemed pretty affordable :)
As for traction, i think that sunny and dry areas would be the hardest on it becuase in snow and rain it would be harder to brake traction (spin both tires vs. one).
My only concern is with the added weight of a 15K trailer, and not as much play in the tires cause I only have 31's, that it might put too much stress on the welds and blow up...I heard some guys talking about welding a plate over the spider gears incase they do blow up it won't ruin the ring and pinion...so that is deffently what I plan on doing if I go the ''lincon locker'' route....

#6 ·
I would not weld the rear end of a towrig it has the potential to be very dangerous when pulling a trailer on a wet road, not to mention it would probably break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.