Hw hard is welding? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 103813
Hw hard is welding?

I do not know how to weld.

So, How hard is it? I mean I have never done anything but soddering, and I feel like an isiot for not beng able to. I would love to learn but need some know how. What is the best way to learn? And how long would it take sombody like me to learn to weld good enough to be able to do roll cages and what not? I already got a 220 volt welder I can use from a friend for practicing. And yes,I got my flame suit on so go ahead.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude_Jeep View Post
I do not know how to weld.

So, How hard is it? I mean I have never done anything but soddering, and I feel like an isiot for not beng able to. I would love to learn but need some know how. What is the best way to learn? And how long would it take sombody like me to learn to weld good enough to be able to do roll cages and what not? I already got a 220 volt welder I can use from a friend for practicing. And yes,I got my flame suit on so go ahead.
Oops sorry I am moving this to general 4x4. Those are the guys that do it so I'll head on over there. Sorry for the mispost.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
bjb

Member # 56602
Take a class at a junior college. It is cheap and you'll learn alot from someone that knows something.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46467
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb View Post
Take a class at a junior college. It is cheap and you'll learn alot from someone that knows something.
x2 I took a TIG welding class last year a ARC and it great, learned a lot. cost was like $90 but I used twice that in welding gas and supplies

Buy some 7014 rod and just weld some junk together. 3/32 or 1/8 if you junk is 1/4"
Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 63160
What kind of welder? Some welds are harder to do like vertical or pipe welds vs. flat on the ground plate welds. Practice welds on scrap pieces the same shape, thickness, position, and direction as the real work BEFORE final welding. This is best for beginners and prevents messing up the job. I have the most trouble welding in tight spaces and my helmet sucks too. I have gone through less nozzles and tips since I started using "Nozzle Dip." Get some scrap of different thickness and start playing. Plenty of info on internet without paying for classes if you don't have the time like me.
jdubb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 103813
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubb1 View Post
What kind of welder? Some welds are harder to do like vertical or pipe welds vs. flat on the ground plate welds. Practice welds on scrap pieces the same shape, thickness, position, and direction as the real work BEFORE final welding. This is best for beginners and prevents messing up the job. I have the most trouble welding in tight spaces and my helmet sucks too. I have gone through less nozzles and tips since I started using "Nozzle Dip." Get some scrap of different thickness and start playing. Plenty of info on internet without paying for classes if you don't have the time like me.
I got a gas welder and a electric? 220 volt? Something like that.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 29910
Send a message via Yahoo to JeepingEaglesChick
You had to cross post this didn't you?