which battery should i get? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 42067
Send a message via AIM to 88wildrunner
which battery should i get?

which optima red top should i get

the 710cca 910ca for $130 at costco

or the 800CCA 1000CA for $179 at trucksmart
88wildrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 94186
i would go with a yellow top optima i have one and like it
bigarms23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 99513
I've been hearing some bad juju about the "newer" Optima batteries.

I bought my yellow top"Deep cycle" back in 2001. and since then to this day, that thing is just as strong as it was over 7 years ago. But I have heard about people buying these optimas about 2-3 years ago and swear they are CRAP??!!

If you get anything, get the yellow top. or better yet, the blue top"Marine" edition.

there are other solid state batteries on the market. Might want to do more research. Go to a professional Car Audio Store. they know what works and is effecient. thats where i bought my yellow top as well as brand new connectors, power lead wires, ground wires and all. So on top of my battery, I have high quality wires and gold lined connections on my power wire and ground wire.

good luck

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][B]NEW BEGINNINGS:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971511[/url]
jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 48084
Optima's quality went to hell. Thier batteries are junk now.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate is KING!

Member # 12217
The Pro Comp batts are the old-style Optima If you can find them that is...they go in and out of stock quickly.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 88751
I work for a company that produces high-end batteries used in everything from drag race, to desert race, stadium trucks, world rally challenge, etc...

My batteries, like Optima, use AGM (absorbed glass mat) technology origionally developed for the military. This means that there is no fluid to leak out (not that we would ever find ourselves upside-down ) and you get more output per pound. The electrolyte is suspended in a silcate gel, then soaked into fiberglass mats pressed inbetween the lead plates.

The difference between a starting and deep cylce battery (red and yellow top) is the thickness of the plates. Thicker for more reserve and deep charge cycle resiliency, and thinner plates for starting (quick high amp discharge and shallow charging cycle) The marine batteries are a in-beetween the two, so they can survive deep charging cycles but still have good cranking power.

All of my batteries are a "hybrid" similar to the blue top optima, so you get the best of both worlds. The primary reason why our batteries are so kick ass is because we don't have the unused space between spiral cells (more lead in the same size battery) and we use 99.98% virgin lead (no recycled junk) so our output is much higher for the same weight. We also have bullet proof steel cases that surround a super thick plastic case, so they are almost indestructable on the trail.

I can answer any battery/alternator questions for you, regardless of who's battery you decide to use.

Matt
www.xspowerbatteries.com
ILLINTENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 110747
I have had a yellow top in mine for 2 years with no trouble but I had a red top before that didnt last a year. if the yellow top goes I might have to try out the xs power batts next. Do you have any dealers in AZ
12GA.YOTA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 42067
Send a message via AIM to 88wildrunner
i went with a yellow top $162 at costco
88wildrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Baconologist

Member # 32029
I've heard several complaints about the Optima red tops, I've never had any problems. I'm currently running a dual set up with two 75/25's (red tops) for the "just in case" factor...

Are you guys (who are having problems) running a bunch of accessories, or doing alot of winching? I'm just wondering what may be the cause of the failures
TLCA #14103
smurfblue40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 99513
I find the main cause of failure is based on your leads.

I've seen some quality batteries on some rigs, but the power/ground leads from the Batt are horrible

That was why I had my power and ground leads replaced with the best stuff I could find. That could be a factor why I don't have any problems to this day.

If you use alot of accessories, you gotta wire it correctly. I have a one distrubution block wired directly to my battery that can hook up 4 accessories(currently running only one)

So one large wire coming off the battery to a properly maintained distribution will help in the life of the battery. I have seen up to 6-7 connections directly to the battery

As for winching, good rule of thumb is never winch with the engine off. Never load up the winch under extreme stress. I run a warn 8000, and when I had to use it, I bumped on the in button. I did not stay on the button and dragged my jeep like I've seen.

Its all about power management.

If you got one guy with every possible thing on, dragging his junk using the winch, the engine is off, and he kills his battery. Well . . . He is just stupid and he deserves it.

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"][B]NEW BEGINNINGS:[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[url]http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971511[/url]
jpfrk2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 15668
Take a strong look at Exide's gel battery offering, also sold under Napa label. Had one since '02, winched it dead twice, don't ask, and it came right back. I'll surely buy another. Mine is 1000 CCA's
grljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Baconologist

Member # 32029
X2 what jpfrk2001 said...
TLCA #14103
smurfblue40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 101572
I like the everstart MAXX-1N from wallmart for less than $70 and it has over 900CCA. Ive had three now I need to start keeping them when I change vehicles but I have used them for as long as 4 years no trouble that how long before I sold it. The other two I sold the vehicle before I had problems and the third is in my truck now going on 2.5 years

Last edited by tjsjr; 04-03-2008 at 12:39 PM.
tjsjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 91803
I have a battery setup question that might help make up your mind. What would be better, one Optima or a dual battery setup using two "normal" batterys say around 700 cca? This will be for winching, and running two 150w offroad lights.(In my case) Would this be a good setup for someone that has an extra battery around? or even going and buying a 40$ battery instead of a 160.00+$ I know the draw backs would be weight, and making a mount...
Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 88751
The two wall mart flooded type batteries will outperform a single optima battery, but you still have to worry about getting that acid all over you in a rollover, collision, or alternator failure. AGM batteries are well worth it for longevity, safetey, and performance.

You guys should be carefull comparing batteries by CCA (cold cranking amps) Take it from me, there are a million ways to manipulate those #'s. We sued some people for making claims about their batteries that wern't true, and had BCI (Battery Council International) do the independant testing for the suit. Our batteries have slightly lower #'s because our batteries were the ONLY battereis that 100% met or exceeded what we advertise.

Why can't people just be honest

Matt
ILLINTENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 50360
Send a message via AIM to NetBSD Send a message via Yahoo to NetBSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92lilredyj View Post
I have a battery setup question that might help make up your mind. What would be better, one Optima or a dual battery setup using two "normal" batterys say around 700 cca? This will be for winching, and running two 150w offroad lights.(In my case) Would this be a good setup for someone that has an extra battery around? or even going and buying a 40$ battery instead of a 160.00+$ I know the draw backs would be weight, and making a mount...

dont forget the alt has to charge both then so more stress on that and the more power you need from the alt the more hp it takes to spin it. i did what you wanted to do a while back on a 78 f150, i use 2 cheap walmart batteries and ran the second one off a selonoid(sp?) so it would be isolated from the other one till i flipped a toggle switch, worked fine for 2 years before i got rid of the truck
Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfrk2001 View Post
I find the main cause of failure is based on your leads.
Two jeeps, both with good electrical systems.

YJ w/ dual yellow tops circa 2001/2002. They would have no issues supplying power to the winch and drag the winch around engine off. They got to 6yo and they were killed off for high amperage draws through pure abuse. They are supplying a 19' travel trailer power now.

TJ w/ one red top circa 2006. It was shelved for a year, charged, and installed. The winch stalled out LONG before the Jeeps 4 cylinder could stop pulling. Voltage drop instantly to 9v the second it was under any load.

The red tops of the current era are complete and utter crap. Since they came from the same company, by extension, the only safe assumption you can make is that the new yellow tops and blue tops are too.

I'm now running wally world Everstart Maxx in all the vehicles at home. I'll see how they are doing in my jeep after this next year. I'm not worried about the acid spilling out, I've been around several rigs that have gone on their lid or flopped and I haven't seen anything come out of their batteries to date. Yes, it's more likely to happen than an AGM since an AGM can't, but it's not guaranteed to happen any time you roll either.

If walmart doesn't work out, I'll likely be going to Odysee ($$$$) for my most demanding vehicles.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
dont forget the alt has to charge both then so more stress on that
Not really.

If you have a 5A draw you have a 5A draw, one battery or two the alternator will be doing practically the same amount of work.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 01:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 66873
I have heard good things about odyssey batteries. Might want to check them out, it is what I plan on running when I put some in the truggy.

http://http://www.odysseybatteries.com/
HOT_DAMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 69640
Send a message via AIM to dragoonranch
Something folks don't talk about much on dual battery setups, is making sure the batteries are matched up. If one ever goes bad, do not just replace just the one. The older battery may not be as strong and will always draw the new battery down to it and will cause the new one to fail faster. Just take the old good one out and keep it as a spare. I have seen this happen on lots of diesel pickups where farmers were being cheap and only replaced one.

TTC 2010 here we come!
Thanks to all who voted for us, we are gonna put on one hellufa show!

Check out our online store.
AMSOIL Your last stop for all your Automotive Synthetic Lubricant needs.
Please PM me for quotes or questions.

Link to places to wheel in Texas
dragoonranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 69640
Send a message via AIM to dragoonranch
Also, the redtop/yellowtops are still good batteries. I bring atleast 5-10 back from the dead each week that the military mechanics throw out. I just put them on a good trickle charger for 48 hours and 90% come back to life.

TTC 2010 here we come!
Thanks to all who voted for us, we are gonna put on one hellufa show!

Check out our online store.
AMSOIL Your last stop for all your Automotive Synthetic Lubricant needs.
Please PM me for quotes or questions.

Link to places to wheel in Texas
dragoonranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 37184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonranch View Post
Something folks don't talk about much on dual battery setups, is making sure the batteries are matched up. If one ever goes bad, do not just replace just the one. The older battery may not be as strong and will always draw the new battery down to it and will cause the new one to fail faster. Just take the old good one out and keep it as a spare. I have seen this happen on lots of diesel pickups where farmers were being cheap and only replaced one.
This true if you connect your batteries in parallel, and leave them that way. If you isolate them via manual or electric disconnects, and only parallel them when you need momentary, extra boost, you can replace them one at a time.
I always discourage permanently connecting batteries in parallel.
If they're set up independent of each other, then you will need a battery isolator diode pack to charge them at the same time.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 80664
don't believe the rumors about newer Optima's. I got the old and new redtops and I've been very happy (I just wish the prices didn't have to go up).

go for a Optima
Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 91803
Yeah I believe if you leave your batterys hooked up all the time if one is lower/older/worn out then the other I can see where it might bring the other one down, but I do not think with a dual battery set up that your alt is going to work any harder.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 73413
Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
Optima's quality went to hell. Thier batteries are junk now.
I agree. My brother and I go through several rigs. We used to put optimas in them feeling that they were the best. Well in the last 3 years, we have warrentied 8 of them in 3 different rigs. They are junk. Buy something else.
Bansheestu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.