Pros & Cons: Line-X inside my rig... - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 121092
Pros & Cons: Line-X inside my rig...

I was thinking of ripping up the carpeting in my Bronco and just having the floor sprayed with Line-X.

The pros would be the durability and ease of cleaning. What would be the cons, if any?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 114747
Your carpet acts as an insulator. It keeps the heat in during the winter and reduces road noise. If your rig is not a daily driver, I would rip the carpet out and Line-X the floor. It will only add a little weight to your truck.
adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 18535
Send a message via AIM to wv4runner
Line-X will do a good job of insulating against road noise and heat too. Only Cons are the $500+ price tag. A DIY bedliner would be a lot cheaper, but not as nice as Line-X.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
removing is next to impossible, and it hates welding splatter
not sure I would want to be in it if it caught fire
I had a chevy that I rhino'd the cab, loved it
mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 121092
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam12 View Post
Your carpet acts as an insulator. It keeps the heat in during the winter and reduces road noise. If your rig is not a daily driver, I would rip the carpet out and Line-X the floor. It will only add a little weight to your truck.
How much weight do you think it will add? This is a full-sized 1980 Bronco. I'd like to Line-X the entire floor plus the inside of the tailgate.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 121092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNASCAR View Post
How much weight do you think it will add? This is a full-sized 1980 Bronco. I'd like to Line-X the entire floor plus the inside of the tailgate.
Bump.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 122808
Well, I have had two rigs, both with Line-X in the tub, the fist one burned to the ground because of a fuel fire. Once the fire got to the Line-X there was nothing we could do to stop it . The one that I now have, has Line-X inside and out, it does well to dampen the nose and heat for the engine. It also does well against the rust. Even though it does not like fire and welding spatter I would still run it. Just beware of it if you do any welding after the fact inside the tub.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 114630
Send a message via AIM to DeltaClothingCo Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaClothingCo
I thought that Linex brand was supposed to be fire resistant. I remember seeing something about a bed liner that was fire resistant that companies were spraying pipes and the sides of buildings with and it was partially due to the fact that it was fire resistant???

as for how much weight it would add -

LINE-X weighs .7 pounds per square foot at 1/8" thickness. Trucks are usually sprayed up to 1/4" on the bed and up to 1/8" on the sides. So it depends on how much you apply. I think 1/4" is pretty damn thick. On a bronco, Remove the top if you are concerned about weight
Old 02-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 6807
I did a DIY in my trooper.. the positives are pretty self explanatory, here are the negatives I experienced:

damn near burned my leg up on long drives, heat from the drivetrain/trans hump. This was less severe after a body lift.

easy to clean, but impossible to keep clean. in carpet all the little bits of dust sink in... on bedliner there's only one surface and everything sits on it. I wasn't even being a neat freak - it was my wheeling rig - but all the little bits of crap that would appear within a day of washing it out... drove me nuts.

louder, way louder drivetrain noise. 1/4" of hard plastic is definitely not as good a sound or heat insulator as a half inch of pad/carpet. Not even close.

had to figure out where to hide all the factory wiring that ran under my carpet

uncomfortable to scoot around in back on my knees when stacking cargo in the rear... was much nicer with carpet, even if it was old stained gross carpet.

all in all, I utterly regretted removing my carpet in just about every way. YMMV.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 121092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaClothingCo View Post
I thought that Linex brand was supposed to be fire resistant. I remember seeing something about a bed liner that was fire resistant that companies were spraying pipes and the sides of buildings with and it was partially due to the fact that it was fire resistant???

as for how much weight it would add -

LINE-X weighs .7 pounds per square foot at 1/8" thickness. Trucks are usually sprayed up to 1/4" on the bed and up to 1/8" on the sides. So it depends on how much you apply. I think 1/4" is pretty damn thick. On a bronco, Remove the top if you are concerned about weight
I would think that 1/8" would be enough for the inside of the cab. I don't haul anything heavy, so it wouldn't need that much protection.