94 cherokee with 1tons and front leaf conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 135838
94 cherokee with 1tons and front leaf conversion

i got a 94 cherokee that i want to put ford 1tons under and i also want to convert the front to leafs and not coils. while im at it i also want to install 12 lift leafs all the way around..... whats everyones insite and what would the weak points be?????
94cherokee "alias" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 86086
Send a message via AIM to three60fish
Give us some more info....tire size you'd like, intended purpose of the rig, what are the axles you have to put in there (ford 1tons could be a lot of combinations), etc. Cherokees are notorious for being difficult to tuck big rubber under. Give us some more info and we can go from there.

Nobody else responded so I thought I would....

J
three60fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 135098
ok were to start. i want to put the 12 leafs and maybe 1tons. i dont have them yet. the only reason going with ford is the tcase hook up matches unless i can rotate the jeep transfer to match up with the chevy 1/2 tons i already have. the purpose for the rig and to have something not many people have on the streets. i want the leafs all the way around for simplicity and maximum lift but keep it streetable. tires im not sure of. wont know till after the lift to see what fits and looks the best
94cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 86086
Send a message via AIM to three60fish
Ok, well...you didn't really give the answers I was looking for but I'll advise from what you did say. If you don't have an intended purpose for the rig other than street driving, then I think you are looking at either a way underpowered/dysfunctional rig or a boatload of money. You're right to say that leaf springs will keep it simple and will be easier to install, but with 12" of lift you'll be way top heavy and it won't do that well off road, even with full width axles. You may want to look at some of the more popular vendors for a full width axle kit for the XJ, I'm sure there is one out there and this would minimize your fabrication since you haven't spoken to your fab skills either. With 12" of lift you should be looking at about a 38" or maybe more tire which will still require you to cut your fenders to tuck if you go off road and have enough flex (although this is a high hope for a leaf pack that provides
12" of lift). Speaking of...whose springs do you plan to use? With 38" tires in mind, that straight six is gonna be fairly doggish and you'll almost certainly have to look at new gears in the axles if you expect to drive it on the street. Figure a fat chunk of change if you're not equipped to set the axles up yourself. Lockers? Basically, if you're building a street/show truck...you can probably shortcut some of this and won't have to worry about it. If you expect to be doing off-roading...you should change your plans to something more reasonable for an XJ.

To answer your initial question on what the weak links will be....I'd say if you go to the 1ton axles and a ford case which I presume you'll be attempting to get a 205...then you're weak link will most certainly be tranny. With 38's and one ton gearing you're going to be riding hard on whatever tranny is in there...I'd consider at least a rebuild with some better clutches and a big tranny cooler if its got high miles.

Last edited by three60fish; 05-26-2009 at 11:54 AM.
three60fish is offline   Reply With Quote