Question about cages / safety - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 124808
Question about cages / safety

Ive had open top sports racers, and its common knowledge among those who participate its a VERY bad idea to drive-ride in a caged one without a helmet... Even standar roll hoops get guf with the open top crowd. The logic being with a full cage if you crack you mellon on any of the tubework it can be a real serious problem... Sheetmetal and headliner are more forgiving than DOM. Is this a problem in wheeling, or are the "crashing" speeds not significant to make the head injury from tube less of a consideration than getting squarshed? Is exo really the way to go?
WrinkledWrockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 134092
What do you mean by wheeling? For some that means doing 50+ jumping the desert, and other a 2-3mph crawl up rocks, or slow speed trail riding. An exo is the way to going in most cases with most people, keeps the rocks a little farther away from you. A interior, you run into head room issues some times, which your head can get caught in and crushed.

And what do you mean by?
Is this a problem in wheeling, or are the "crashing" speeds not significant to make the head injury from tube less of a consideration than getting squarshed?

Others will will say different, or the same. When you answer the questions.
onlyifihadachevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Might want to take a read through these threads:

/forum/general-4x4-discussion/796903-lets-talk-helmets.html
/forum/general-chit-chat/694029-what-helmet-recommended-rockcrawling.html

Also, type of helmet is going to depend on what you are doing - slow speed crawling vs. high speed racing.
GET INVOLVED - Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition

'93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500 NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 176K
'85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)

Last edited by PAToyota; 08-24-2009 at 06:53 AM.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 38118
I just put some pipe insulation on the bars that I was likely to hit my head on and called it good.
bbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 124808
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyifihadachevy View Post
What do you mean by wheeling? For some that means doing 50+ jumping the desert, and other a 2-3mph crawl up rocks, or slow speed trail riding. An exo is the way to going in most cases with most people, keeps the rocks a little farther away from you. A interior, you run into head room issues some times, which your head can get caught in and crushed.

And what do you mean by?
Is this a problem in wheeling, or are the "crashing" speeds not significant to make the head injury from tube less of a consideration than getting squarshed?

Others will will say different, or the same. When you answer the questions.

Talking about Light crawling, and slow technical trails with exposure (I.e. slipping off trail can mean a few hundred barrel-rolls down a 60 degree slope) Thing is, ill be building a drive-to-the-trail truck, something "legalish" that id probably use for pickin shit up at home depot, etc. with, and im not going to wear a brain bucket every time i drive a pickup. :lol:

I suppose bar padding is a good solution though.... Any threads on here where somone has trimmed the inner panels from the cabin of the truck and integrated the cage into the body structure? Like weld it right in and get the headliner and trim over it? Probably be a bitch... Like so see it if its been done though?

Thanks for the tips... got me thinkin anyway.
WrinkledWrockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10063
I doubt most vehicles would have enough room behind the trim to put a 1.5-1.75" tube behind there (at least not without reeeaallly major surgery).

How much clearance you'll have between your head and the cage depends largely on the vehicle, and of course the design of the cage (my Bronco II gives me a fair amount of room around the cage (I'm 5'11"). Toyota interiors on the other hand can be pretty tight though).
I would think most fullsize trucks you could put an unobtrusive cage in. Pipe insulation nowadays does make pretty good padding. The stiff polyethylene plastic foam doesn't disintegrate and/or tear after a year like that black foam-rubberish stuff did from 10-15 years ago.