Pirate 4x4 banner

$320 fuel pump for '00 Silverado 1500 ?

10K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  JF 
#1 ·
Is there any way to get just the pump rather than the whole assembly? Delphi is $320 and Airtex is $276 ... I searched but there are alot of fuel pump threads.

I was told a '96 1500 5.7 pump would swap in but I compared today and the plug is different and there's no pig tail with the new pump.

Somebody has to know away around this $320 fuel pump bs

Thanks

#6 ·
The unit is $320 because it is a fuel pump module, not just a pump, and no, they are not replaceable separately. Yeah, it sucks a little, but it could be worse. Many newer cars are running a returnless fuel system with the fuel filter built into the pump. Get some bad gas and plug up your filter? You're buying a whole pump.

Don't waste your time with anything but an AC Delco pump from the dealership...unless, of course, you enjoy replacing them every 50,000 miles.

#10 ·
Don't waste your time with anything but an AC Delco pump from the dealership...unless, of course, you enjoy replacing them every 50,000 miles.
Been my experience over the years=OEM Delco (Delphi) pumps last longer than any aftermarket pump, whiney customers have brought me to install. For some reason customers bring their heeps in usually with a quarter tank or less of gas. With the high prince of gas I guess people run the tanks nearer the empty mark than full. Makes it Hell on the pump. I have seen aftermarket pumps fail within 6 months. Won't install them anymore.:mr-t:

#9 ·
spectra's warranty lists that if it is put in at a lagit shop and it goes out within 18 months they will give you a new pump and pay for labor,so you put it in and get you buddy who works at a shop to write you a recept for around 450$ thats what it will cost in most cases,couse they will want a recept for the job and maybe even call the shop,win win.

#12 ·
Alright, so I ordered an AC Delco pump off ebay ~$70 . Part# MU1089 gets you an entire assembley from the parts places but can be found as a pump only on ebay. I'll report back with how it goes.

Also I found the Delphi unit at Carquest for $280 vs $320 at Oreilly's ... for anybody wanting to go that route.

#13 ·
Alright, so its in and seems to have solved my hard starting issues. Has a different part # on the box along with a GM # . Checked ACD.com and the GM site as well as local parts stores. All say the same thing, nonexistant part.

#14 · (Edited)
I just plunked down the 3 bills at carquest for an OEM unit. Found one on e-bay, but with shipping and no warranty, worth the extra $20, but with tax it was closer to $50.

Saved the old unit as it just needs a new pump. I will open it up and see if just the pump can be found. Was not that bad to drop the tank and replace. Took a few hours as I had no clue what I need to do. But I pulled the driveline so I could get my head up there to see the fuel connections.
This was on a Burb, vs pickup. Pulling the bed might be fine if you have a gantry crane. Couple jackstands, floor jack and 2x6 worked just fine.

Get the Safety Siphon. It drained all but about a 1/2 gallon on a 32 gallon tank.:smokin: They about $10 and worth it.

YouTube - safety siphon 0001
Don't forget your 100 mile AAA tow, as mine left me stranded 60 miles from home.

#15 ·
Update: My hard starting issue persists. When I originally checked the fuel pressure (old pump) it climbed and held fine but bled off really fast after shut down. I am going to check it again (new pump) and see if I can find a leaking injector. :mad3: Glad I didn't drop $300+

As for the pump it was titled AC Delco fuel pump repair kit. The vendor has 100% feed back.

#16 ·
I have 50 psi after installing the new pump. I noticed that the fuel seem to bled down too, but once I got it start and stay running it seemed to hold fine. Suspect the fuel rail had air in it. So now it holds the 50 psi for a while. I can test that feature if you like, since mine was running an working fine I disconnected the gauge ( harbor freight $10) It did take several attempts to keep it running. It would start right up, but then die, and it did that about 6-8 times before I just rev'ed it up and it stayed running. Could have been that the air intake hose was off too? As I put it back on.

Pour 1/2 cup of gas into the air intake and see if it starts, then you know its fuel related for sure. Thats how I figured out my issue. Got a few looks putting gas into a water bottle:homer: at the gas station, but it's all I had. You can swap the relay with another too.

do you hear the pump whine?

#17 ·
I haven't checked the pressure with the new pump yet but I am sure its fine. Apparently the pump wasn't the reason it was losing pressure after being shut off, and therefore not primed enough to start on the first try. $70 of preventative maintenance I guess.

I suspect I have a weeping injector. Once started it runs fine. I have driven it a few times since putting the new pump in.

Doesn't start first try, second try usually starts after a few cranks. Not acceptable. Used to start first time, first crank. So frustrating.

#18 · (Edited)
Just press the schrader valve and it gas come out fast you have pressure.

You could wait 3-5 seconds for the pump to pressurize the system before starting to see if its a leaky injector/s If that was the case your oil would smell from gas. My pump runs 2 seconds after you turn the key off. I figured this out while testing for voltage at the pump. But I have an 01

To fix the leaky injector run some Valvoline complete fuel system cleaner. The 6,000 mile stuff. Over the years I tried most everything out there and this stuff works.

#19 ·
They didn't have any of the valvoline at wally world last night so I dumped a can of seafoam in with about 3/4 of a tank. I am gonna do some wot beating on my truck today and see if I can dislodge what ever may be holding an injector open. I am gonna hook the fuel pressure guage up again too.

This is the pump I went with (though I didn't need it):rolleyes:.

#21 ·
So I swapped the rails and injectors with fpr from another 5.3 I have and it still doesn't start first try. Key on it primes to ~55psi but it still bleeds off. It takes a little longer to bleed off now that I swapped injectors ... about 6min vs 1min before.

Genesis shows no misfires on any cylinders. Runs fine, idles fine. :shaking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.