Who can quote me a $ on a SAS Toyota 4runner? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 49275
Who can quote me a $ on a SAS Toyota 4runner?

I plan on buying a 4runner (90-95) and do a SAS and make it more offroad/ crawler capable. What price range am I looking a here excluding the truck itself?

Also would it matter if I get 2wd or 4wd since Ima do front solid axle?

Thanks
Glamis4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 36007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamis4Runner View Post
I plan on buying a 4runner (90-95) and do a SAS and make it more offroad/ crawler capable. What price range am I looking a here excluding the truck itself?

Also would it matter if I get 2wd or 4wd since Ima do front solid axle?

Thanks
Get a manual trans 4x4 so all you will have to worry about initially is the axles and suspension. Personally i'd go with an earlier leaf spring rear truck but that's just me. Probably get a salvage front solid axle lock to lock for $250 or less. SAS kit from Trail Gear is $1100.00 and I think the others are close to same price. Probably get someone to do the work for $1000 maybe less. Need to beef up the front axle with better shafts, gussets, locking decice....another maybe $1500. Need better rear springs if you do leafs and probably some Heep or aftermarket coils if you go the 90-95. We have a buddy that has a coil rear runner that we stuck some Heep coils under the rear and it clears 33's fine. So the short answer depends on how you plan to use it. Light trail wheeler probably $3500 up to $5000-$6000 for more hard core and depends heavily on how much labor you will provide personally.
FT#48 build
"I wanna get me a truck and soop it up with some metal!" -Wingo
mtbrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 131032
If you can do the install/ tearout youself, the the TG kit is a pretty complete kit @ $1100.00 . If you can do some fabbing yourself you could shave some off of that but will still need a front axle. Make sure the gear ratio in the axle you pick up is the same as in the rear. You should also pick up a knuckle rebuild kit and new wheel bearings... about another $150.00. At this point, if you had the $$, would be a good time to upgrade to Longfields but certainly not a need to do the swap. Same with armour... could always be added later. And YES it matters if you get a 2WD or 4WD... a 4WD will have the transfer case... kind of important You will also need a front driveshaft, which again comes down to what/ how much you can do yourself.

Last edited by U8MyMud; 11-30-2009 at 01:18 PM.
U8MyMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 10086
Send a message via AIM to aaron t Send a message via Skype™ to aaron t
the 90-95 isn't going to be the easiest and cheapest option. plus it most likely will have the crappiest of the v6 blocks in it. i would make sure you get a runner with a 22re in it and a manual trans. that is going to be the best bet for an sas. because then you can just use a regular toy front end.

you should be able to get the kit for a grand and be into it for 15hundred with axle and all. but that is a bare bones build using junkyard non trick stuff.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 10086
Send a message via AIM to aaron t Send a message via Skype™ to aaron t
and yes it matters if you get a 2wd. it won't be a lot of fun doing a full conversion.

you really have to ask yourself what you want to have at the end of it all.

if you plan on someday turning it into a buggy, get a buggy. you could pick up a running built but semi ugly buggy for $8k. and go from there. let someone else eat the research and costs.