Axle question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 150125
Axle question

Hello fellow GM fans!

I realize my car in question is no 4x4, but the question I have should have an answer in one of you experts

I am currently rebuilding a chevy 350 with the edelbrock performer kit for use in a G20 van 1987. According to Edelbrock, the engine will kick out about 410 HP / 400 Torques.
The car currently has a TH700-R4 with stock rear axle. I am considering replacing that with a TH400 and strenghtening the rear axle.

Im guessing the stock chevy will not handle that kind of power. Any suggestions to what I should change / upgrade?
BadNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 140945
Does it have a 10 bolt in it now? I would wait to upgrade anything until it broke. I had a Chevelle with a healthy 454 that had a 10 bolt and it took all the beating I dished out.
-Jake- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 142668
Fuck me senseless........ "Hello fellow GM fans" What kind of ghey shit is that? You come to the hardest core 4X4 site in the world with a question not about a 4X4, not even a truck, but a fuckin VAN? I'm just bored this morning, or I wouldn't even justify your question with a response. "What to change"? Change forums...go find some soccer mom mini van forum and ask your BS questions. Do yourself a favor and run....run like the wind back to where you belong, before it gets really bad!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 150125
Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrWagons4ever View Post
Fuck me senseless........ "Hello fellow GM fans" What kind of ghey shit is that? You come to the hardest core 4X4 site in the world with a question not about a 4X4, not even a truck, but a fuckin VAN? I'm just bored this morning, or I wouldn't even justify your question with a response. "What to change"? Change forums...go find some soccer mom mini van forum and ask your BS questions. Do yourself a favor and run....run like the wind back to where you belong, before it gets really bad!

Reason for the "hello fellow GM fans" was that this post was originally put in the Chevy part of the forum. As you point out, Im no expert, so I got redirected to the newbie forum.

I would think the newbie forum would be welcoming to new members in order to create interest for the offroad hobby

I even wrote a little disclaimer, so that people with no interest in 2wd's could skip right next to the next post. Sorry for stealing your valuable time. Besides, I guess american rear axles isnt rocket science and that alot of the hints and tips could convert from 4x4s!

I'll bookmark you for when I have hardcore 4x4 questions that you can answer from your elite book of scary 4x4's
Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 148442
I wouldnt exactly trust the numbers on the box, but I would just stick with what ya got. Ever heard the saying, "if it aint broke, dont fix it"? IF it breaks, find a smokin deal on a 1 ton and do the swap. My only question is why in the sam hell do you need 400 (on the box number)H.P. to pull a trailor?

Last edited by Loftis61; 01-05-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Saw the other post in Chevy forum and didnt think about it already being 3/4 ton
Loftis61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 146028
that box is incorrect, you might make 400 flywheel hp, you won't get 400 to the wheels out of a 350 with a edelbrock package. a well built 383 stroker will make close to that with a crappy tune. but if it is a standard bore 350 with heads/cam/intake, you might make around 350 to the wheels through a 700R4.
Spoolin250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Run a TH400 with a bolt on yoke, semi floating 5 or 6 lug 14 bolt rear, 1350 u-joints and a Auburn or Eaton limited slip diff.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 150125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftis61 View Post
I wouldnt exactly trust the numbers on the box, but I would just stick with what ya got. Ever heard the saying, "if it aint broke, dont fix it"? IF it breaks, then find a junk 3/4 ton and swap axles out of it... OR if you get REALLY lucky, find a smokin deal on a 1 ton and do the swap. My only question is why in the sam hell do you need 400 (on the box number)H.P. to pull a trailor?
Thanks everyone for their good replies. Ive got some thinking to do here it seems! About the horsepower, its not for pulling a trailer, more for fun. I'd like to be able to use the car to pull a heavy load without having to fear that the trans/driveline is going to crap out on me
Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 29016
being that it is a 3/4t it should already have the 9.5 14bsf, that axle will take a lot more than you can make.
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 46175
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jake- View Post
Does it have a 10 bolt in it now? I would wait to upgrade anything until it broke. I had a Chevelle with a healthy 454 that had a 10 bolt and it took all the beating I dished out.
Either your 454 sucked, your tires sucked, or your not tall enough to push the gas pedal to the floor on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
being that it is a 3/4t it should already have the 9.5 14bsf, that axle will take a lot more than you can make.
Most G20 vans I have seen have had the 10 bolt rear with 5 lug axles shafts. I wish you were right.

This is Pirate4x4.com, I am a little disappointed that he didn't get the standard, "14 bolt and weld it ".

A 10 bolt will put up with some abuse if it is in good shape. With all good bearings and the preloads right, it should survive for a while.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 83394
Quote:
I bet you have been waiting your whole registered 4 months to finally flame someone...only to do it in the Newbie flame free section. Way to go moron.
Tellico Rally Post #942
Dodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 140945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mh4Runner View Post
Either your 454 sucked, your tires sucked, or your not tall enough to push the gas pedal to the floor on a regular basis.
I am short but I did get WOT on it. It did have an open diff with 2.73s which I am sure helped.
-Jake- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 142668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgen View Post
I bet you have been waiting your whole registered 4 months to finally flame someone...only to do it in the Newbie flame free section. Way to go moron.
So since when are VANS allowed in a Pirate BB? Even the Newbie? And no you are incorrect....this isn't the first person I've flamed.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 83394
Quote:
So since when are VANS allowed in a Pirate BB? Even the Newbie? And no you are incorrect....this isn't the first person I've flamed.
Well, since you are a mud bogger you can probably appreciate this. Seems this guy has just as much right to be here as you do. Its in a van, and may have even made it farther than you could.

YouTube - Van Mud Bog

My point is the guy had an axle and tranny question. And the ones that he asked about are used in 4WD applications. He asked in the right place and even somewhat appologized because it was not a 4WD vehicle. Next time don't get so excited and think some before you flame the shit out of the newbie in the newbie section. Now take off to the hardcore section and have some fun.
Tellico Rally Post #942
Dodgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 148442
Badass ^. I dont exactly see where he messed up. It could be worse, like that other thread with the dodge van/deathtrap build/ waiting to see how that one pans out, thread.

Back to the topic at hand, I wouldnt go pouring money into the motor without upgrading the tranny/T-case/driveshafts/axles. IF your wanting to push 400hp(again, box number) but theoretically(excuse my spelling) Your gonna have to do some mods to the other parts too. Remember, your only as strong as your weakest link.

I added T-case since were talking about 4x4 applications. If your gonna put work into it, might as well put work into a 4wd.

Last edited by Loftis61; 01-07-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: I added T-case...
Loftis61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 142668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgen View Post
Well, since you are a mud bogger you can probably appreciate this. Seems this guy has just as much right to be here as you do. Its in a van, and may have even made it farther than you could.

My point is the guy had an axle and tranny question.

OK smart guy...instead of raggin on me, then help the OP out and answer his question. After you've done that, PM Lance and see if he'll change the name to 'Pirate 4X4 and Vans.

Oh yeah...I'm impressed that a van went thru 8" of mud.....you're right tho....my Power Wagon with a locked rear and a locker in the front sittin on 35's wouldn't have a chance in hell goin where that van could go.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 150125
War in the van thread!

So thing are a little different for us, me and my brother who are doing this build live in Norway. In the US, I guess 4x4's are worth some more money then vans, but not here. We are not even allowed to drive off-road here at all

We're not afraid to drop some money and work hours in this project. It will get a full body job in addition to the tech stuff. Current plans look like we're going for the Edelbrock performer power package and a remanufactured, strenghtened 700R4. Ive taken a look and the van currently sits on a 10-bolt axle. So does the whole axle have to go, or can I install tougher driveshafts (floaters?) and a stronger diff in the one I have?

Just for the record, this is our learner project, and we figured its better to start with a van and then proceed to building a K5 with 454 and all the bells and whistles. This requires more experience, no?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
Quote:
Quote:
OK smart guy...instead of raggin on me, then help the OP out and answer his question. After you've done that, PM Lance and see if he'll change the name to 'Pirate 4X4 and Vans.

Oh yeah...I'm impressed that a van went thru 8" of mud.....you're right tho....my Power Wagon with a locked rear and a locker in the front sittin on 35's wouldn't have a chance in hell goin where that van could go.
How about you stay out of the newbie section?
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115917 ever read it?
Old 01-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 108293
im confused, this isnt pirate4x4 and blazers, so am i allowed to post questions about my blazer? oh yeah, my buddy has a problem with his unimog, but he says its a van so he's scared to post....im so confused
Old 01-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85972
Quote:

you're the dumbest pile of shit i've ever seen in this forum. go be a tough guy somewhere else you faggot.

Authorized Ruffstuff dealer- pm me for pirate discount and free shipping on orders over $100.

ADS Racing Shocks- I can save you money on those too!

Website http://hellfire-fabworks.com/
billybob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 51243
Quote:

my Power Wagon with a locked rear and a locker in the front
Is that like having front and rear lockers?

Or is that different that having a locked rear and a locker in the front?

Noobs these days....

Last edited by GMCTruxrule; 01-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.
GMCTruxrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 108293
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCTruxrule View Post
Is that like having front and rear lockers?

Or is that different that having a locked rear and a locker in the front?

Noobs these days....
im guessing the noob has a welded rear and a locked front, but who knows? he is a self rightous know it all, so who gives a fuck?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 51243
I vote for a band wagon joinee
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 147955
I don't mean to bash on mudders, but it honestly doesn't take a lot of smarts or effort to put some tires on a truck with a big engine and call it good for "mud."
sucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 150125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNews View Post
We're not afraid to drop some money and work hours in this project. It will get a full body job in addition to the tech stuff. Current plans look like we're going for the Edelbrock performer power package and a remanufactured, strenghtened 700R4. Ive taken a look and the van currently sits on a 10-bolt axle. So does the whole axle have to go, or can I install tougher driveshafts (floaters?) and a stronger diff in the one I have?
Any ideas?