Rear Squat Problem? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 122846
Rear Squat Problem?

I have a problem that I need some help with. I am going to upload a video and will post the url when I have it but for now I will have to simply describe the situation. Jeep Hill Trouble on Vimeo

The problem is that when I climb a hill, the front of my jeep continues to be a bit tippy and the tends to leave a tire high in the air rather than it dropping down. It continues to feel that the jeep is going to tip backwards. One tire is typically high in the air and the other is on the ground when this situation occurs.

The jeep is using a coil conversion and thus I am running on coils instead of leafs and have the sway bar disconnected (when wheeling) and have the trackbar connected due to having coils. The flex of the jeep seems to be respectable for this type of a setup.

I am thinking it has something to with the rear of the jeep because this situation usually occurs when the back tires are in a run or something that makes the back of the jeep squish the coils. So, it seems that the rear tires get tucked pretty high in the wheelwells and thus forcing the front of the jeep to remain high??? The suspension is a procomp coil conversion. It has short control arms, but those do not appear to be limiting me either.

The coils are defienetely not maxing out in the front and I am also considering that the front shocks may be limiting me a bit. However, when I watch video's of a fellow YJ on leafs it doesn't really droop the tire any more than mine but mines seems to struggle to climb the hill and the front of the jeep keeps going backwards and I worry about tipping. So, I don't think the issue is simply a flex issue... is what I am trying to say with the note regarding the other YJ.

It could be that my trackbar is maybe limiting the droop of that tire a bit but I am not sure. Maybe you guys have experience in an issue such as this.

I am fully locked with ARB's, using 33's. I have had this issue numerous times and it is really bugging me. I would appreciate any information that you can provide. Let me know if you need additional photo's. Here is a link to a different photo of my jeep flexing in another area around BFE.. It almost appears that the rear flex is almost better than the front, which is sad.

I am leaning toward the issue being due to the soft coils in the back (145lb/in) and then when they compress down it causes the front to rise. I am looking into maybe stiffer coils in back. Maybe the RE models at about 240lb/in.

THoughts? Help!
cliffy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44086
To be honest, watching the video it appears to me that your Jeep is doing exactly what you would expect from a short wheel based Jeep on coils with a short arm lift. Lifting a front tire on the hill is unavoidable with what you are running. The tippy feeling you are getting is the steep hill and your short wheel base. Looking at your jeep, I would estimate you have around a 90 to 92 inch wheel base?
robertd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 122846
Pics of the rear small, tiny, short arms...

http://cid-947f6613a773d22f.skydrive...px/Moab%202010

Yes, wheelbase of aroudn 91/92".
cliffy23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 106282
Why post in 2 differend threads?
Frank1669 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.