some NP205 questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 154926
some NP205 questions

Well, since Im new here, and this is the NewB forum, I figure This would be the best place to ask.

What Ive got is a 78 GMC 3/4 ton that Im putting a SB Ford, C6, and dual transfer cases into, along with hopefully a Dana 60 front axle if I can find one cheap. My dilema is what to do for my dual transfer case plans.

I have the NP205 that came mated to the C6, and I have a divorced NP205 as well. Both are driver side drop. I also have a NP203 that was married to a TH350 in a 76 GMC, and was considering making an adapter similar to the OffRoad Design setup, but I cant make the intermediate shafts to make it work.

My question then is what is the best way to make my 2 ford T cases work together? Can I clock the mated case up enough to clear the driveshaft to the divorced unit? Is there any way I can mate the NP203 reduction box to the NP205 without dropping almost $800? Im not a total nooB to fabrication, as Ive been doing it for about 9 years now, so brackets and crossmembers and drivelines dont phase me one bit, but I cant make hardened, splined shafts and want to spend as little as possible on this project, I.E. use what I have laying around... Opinions or advice appreciated, thanks!

-Bill
The Beast I Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
"All Whee Drive!"

Member # 6450
Running the NP203 will cost you.
First off, it's a mirror of a Ford NP203, so if you got a stock adapter (plus a Ford input), you'd still have to re-drill the mounting holes (that's if it's even possible).

Run the Ford set up with the married NP205 & flip the divorced NP205 to be PS drop. Run the D44 for now, then find a Chevy kingpin.

That would be your cheapest.

If your not fond of flipping the 205, find a divorced Dodge one (Chevy is kinda rare).

"The views and opinions expressed in any thread by MochaMike are those of the author and do not represent any policy initiatives of any club, organization or friend. Proposed alternatives are the expressed views of the author."

Fordyce Clean Up Oct 11 2014
MochaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 44136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MochaMike View Post
Running the NP203 will cost you.
First off, it's a mirror of a Ford NP203, so if you got a stock adapter (plus a Ford input), you'd still have to re-drill the mounting holes (that's if it's even possible).

Run the Ford set up with the married NP205 & flip the divorced NP205 to be PS drop. Run the D44 for now, then find a Chevy kingpin.

That would be your cheapest.

If your not fond of flipping the 205, find a divorced Dodge one (Chevy is kinda rare).
Kind of rare? I would say extremely since chevy never used the divorced 205.

Can I ask why you are doing the switch to a ford motor? I'm not a purist that thinks you are ruining the truck, but it seems like a lot of work for minimal gain.
Snowbird13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
"All Whee Drive!"

Member # 6450
That explains why I've never seen one.

Oh yeah, they came in IH trucks as well.

"The views and opinions expressed in any thread by MochaMike are those of the author and do not represent any policy initiatives of any club, organization or friend. Proposed alternatives are the expressed views of the author."

Fordyce Clean Up Oct 11 2014
MochaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 158981
looks easyer to keep it all chevy
78-79FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote