Wiring rollbar lights - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 156105
Wiring rollbar lights

So recently i decided to re-do my rollbar lights so they would actually work... and when i got all the wiring ran, found a constant power ground for my switch and fed the lights to the switch, i turned em on and they worked.. but then i noticed that my headlights didnt work nor did my spedo light... but my temporary highbeams worked? (when you pull the toggle arm back)... So i unplugged the power to the switch and it all came back... i have no idea what's wrong but i need some help thanks
ColtonS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
it seems like you highjacked power from a wire that you shouldn't have. Go through the wiring diagram for your truck and see if there is a handy place to add a new circuit with a fuse and such just for the accessory lights.

Case in point, my buddy has an 02 ram, the fuse box is wired and fused for heated seats...he doesn't have that option. Good place to highjack power. Just make sure that you are using the proper size line and fuse, fire brings the suck.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2010, 05:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 157670
yea u borrowed power from somewhere you should have the best bet because daylighters suck so much power is run the main power from the battery to the switch that way you have a strong source of power for all the lums your putting out!
sirmack10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 156105
I did a quick run through of my wiring diagrams... and i'm led to believe that the wire i poached from (it was just hanging there) is aftermarket... its not in my book.. anywhere... lol
Old 07-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
Run your lights thouh a relay under the hood. Run the relay ground into the cab and through a switch. Power to the relay comes from the battery, and you are done.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 156105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Wheeler View Post
Run your lights thouh a relay under the hood. Run the relay ground into the cab and through a switch. Power to the relay comes from the battery, and you are done.
Good fucking call lol
Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 156105
Ok, so instead of doing the relay i did a fused link on the Constant power line, so the switch i have is 3 pronged (it has a light)

Ground
Light
Battery

The fuse is on battery and the roll bar lights are on light and a ground is on the ground... but now i have no power when the power is on the switch? Im so confused... i took the power off the switch and put it to the line directly and nothing... i think i may just run my own power... relying on these random hanging wires is making me mad.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
HARD ROCK VEGAS

Member # 83644
Using "Relays" are your friend!
burtv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.