Suck Down Winch - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29071
Send a message via AIM to Starboard M
Suck Down Winch

Im about to start remaking my front bumper, and part of the plans include using the winch as a suck down winch.

I will most likely be mounting the winch with the mounting feet facing forward. However this will make the use of the suck down winch pulling the opposite way, and Im not sure if this is something I should be concerned with.

Winch is a Warn 9k, on a Jeep Cherokee with a D44 and 35s. Winch would only be used as a suckdown on steep climbs and only sucking the suspension down a little past ride height.

Red line would be normal winch operation pull direction.
Blue is the winch feet mounting point.
Green line is suckdown routing, to a purple pully of some kind to route the cable to the brown axle.

So if I mount the winch like this, will I have strength issues, or will it be strong enough?
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 63318
Why don't you just do it like this? It might be a little ghetto, but it works fine. I have a tab welded onto the diff cover with a small clevis attached. I simply run the winch cable down and hook it onto the clevis.

75PPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29071
Send a message via AIM to Starboard M
More stress on the winch and mounts? Hitting the cable on the thing Im trying to climb? Possibly hitting my high steer?

Those are the only "reasons" I can think of. I was figuring that I may as well try and get the winch to work the way I invisioned it while Im making a new bumper, but Im now wondering if I even really need to worry about it, and just do it around the front the way you have done it.
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote