2WD offroading... need some advice! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 170234
2WD offroading... need some advice!

My truck is an 01 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD, which right now is my main off road vehicle. I live in AZ, so the desert is mainly soft sand, fill dirt, and rocks. I usually like to just run the hard packed trails, or light soft sand.

I have started looking into stocking my truck with some items that would help me be a little more prepared if I get stuck. I have a 2" by 30' tow strap and that's about it right now. I was wondering, what are some other things I should carry for my situation?

Is there anything special you guys carry to put in front of tires that are stuck in sand other than wood, carpet, etc?

I want to put a winch on, but for right now, would a couple Come-A-Longs work fairly well?

What's a good ground anchor I could buy to attach a winch/come-a-long? Since there are about zero trees out in here.

Thanks so much for all the help! Seems like a great forum with a lot of helpful info.
Racer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 103814
in no particular order:

Pull Pal
Winch
if no winch, "real" come a longs ($200+ range, not $20), so really you might as well go w/a winch
Locker in rear
HiLift jack
chain
straps
tree savers (if you can find a tree)
personal safety equip to op all the above
Flatline's Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 64089
Send a message via AIM to 800MJ
most importatnly would be safety equipment (interior cage, 5pt harness), hi lift jack, and locker in rear. next would be save up for a proper winch. then i would buy some wider and bigger tires to help you float on the sand better with the bigger contact patch. id look on the offroad magazine websites for reveiws on ground anchors, i saw one years ago in petersons.
as for putting under tires, id say carpet is probly pretty good. at least you can roll it up and store it easier. but ive never been in sand or a situation where i ever used carpet, not sure of its downfalls
[QUOTE=roastbeef;10323284]last night, this girl was sucking my dick and she stated licking my balls and then she starteld likcing my ass. i almost nuttd right on top of her fucking head before i got to stick it in her.

im drunk.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sucker;10784484]ok straight six and reliable don't go together. But have fun with that one.[/QUOTE]
800MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 166702
"and locker in rear." or some kind of posi goes a long way in a 2wd.
rayfin interiors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 140746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer26 View Post
My truck is an 01 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD, which right now is my main off road vehicle. I live in AZ, so the desert is mainly soft sand, fill dirt, and rocks. I usually like to just run the hard packed trails, or light soft sand.

I have started looking into stocking my truck with some items that would help me be a little more prepared if I get stuck. I have a 2" by 30' tow strap and that's about it right now. I was wondering, what are some other things I should carry for my situation?

Is there anything special you guys carry to put in front of tires that are stuck in sand other than wood, carpet, etc?

I want to put a winch on, but for right now, would a couple Come-A-Longs work fairly well?

What's a good ground anchor I could buy to attach a winch/come-a-long? Since there are about zero trees out in here.

Thanks so much for all the help! Seems like a great forum with a lot of helpful info.
get some 4 wheel drive
cj7sswampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 114685
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj7sswampers View Post
get some 4 wheel drive
Agreed. Just buy a cheap beater to wheel and haul it with your dodge.
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 51269
One thing I learned from my 2 wheel drive off-roading was to remember to lower the pressure in the front tires too.

Lowering the rear will give you more traction. Lowering them in the front will make the ride much better. You don't want the tire to stop hard against a rock, you want it to conform and climb over it.

A real locker in the real will help, but mainly it will help you get farther before you get stuck. You will get stuck

Otherwise, what was stated above for equipment is about it.. I don't see anything else that should be added, other than don't go alone and maybe a bring a set of sand ladders.

Just remember, without 4wd you are also missing a low range. That means you won't have finess but you can still get pretty remote.

From years ago when I still ran a locked 2wd van.
YouTube - 84 e-150 2wd locked through wash, up other side

YouTube - wheeling a locked 2wd full size ford van

~Mark
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 165582
shovel.
sleeping pad roll =just in case
12v air compressor.
distilled water - for consumption or radiator refil
med kit
comealong
chain
tree saver
regular rope nylon or natural fiber
a second shovel
HiLift jack
a few boards 'just in case'
flash lights
spare of clothes in case your out when its cold and get soaked and stuck 'has happened a few times to myself'
jokemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 74581
one of those airbag things to stick under your frame when (not if) you get stuck.

and 4wd.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Stay the Trail

Member # 3937
I grew up in AZ and learned how to wheel in a '61 F-100 2wd. It had 31's a granny 4spd and a D60-2 with a posi. I wheeled the hell out of the Cottonwood and Prescott areas in that thing. Everyone has your list of needs pretty much covered, but the one thing that no one has mentioned is to never wheel alone or go off without telling someone where you are going and what time to expect you back.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.

Battlement Fab
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 74528
The Hi-lift jack will work better than a cheap come-along will but you need to get a few chunks of chain to use with it so you can reset the jack without losing your progress. I mean it will be better for pulling than the come-along. They can winch too.

Also get a block of plywood for a base or buy the real base for it

Carpet works great in sand, not so well in mud

Last edited by PatJ; 10-11-2010 at 07:15 PM.
PatJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 170234
Thanks everyone for giving me so much helpful advice. I have been looking more seriously now into trying to find an older Toyota, Ford Ranger, etc. that's 4x4 and maybe already has a lift, winch, etc on it. I have seen some that are like around $1500-$2000 that are already "offroad" ready. I figure then also, if I hit or scratch something, I won't be ticked that I screwed up my paint job, haha.

But for right now, I had been looking at Lock Right lockers. What do you guys think of them? What are some pros and cons? Although I go offroading in this truck a good amount, it definately is more of a daily driver than anything. Is it worth the $300 bucks or so for the benefits I'd get out of it?

My truck has the Chrysler 9.25 rear end just in case you know of anyone that has one for sale.

Thanks!

Last edited by Racer26; 10-24-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Racer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 44136
How about a pistol to ward off the border jumpers.
Snowbird13 is offline   Reply With Quote