What chassis to use for custom 4x4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 171421
Question What chassis to use for custom 4x4

I'm new to this forum and to 4x4's in general. I have an idea to put a rat rod 40's truck cab on a 4x4 chassis, using as much of the modern frame, suspension, drive train, etc. as possible. This would be a street vehicle, not lifted. I'm thinking of starting with a long wheelbase version of a small pickup; Ranger or S-10. I have seen a few conversions using S-10 components. How about the Ranger? Any other advice for a newbie?

jim
jimn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 151255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn12 View Post
I'm new to this forum and to 4x4's in general. I have an idea to put a rat rod 40's truck cab on a 4x4 chassis, using as much of the modern frame, suspension, drive train, etc. as possible. This would be a street vehicle, not lifted. I'm thinking of starting with a long wheelbase version of a small pickup; Ranger or S-10. I have seen a few conversions using S-10 components. How about the Ranger? Any other advice for a newbie?

jim

all the one i have seen have been s-10 due to the fact that you can get a rat rod kit now that bolts right to the s10 frame but if your going to build it find a fame some what the same with. I would use a Toyota 4x4 frame myself
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Debauchery Wizard

Member # 80219
build a frame......far easier and cheaper than modifying an existing frame to work with something.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 125507
90's s-10 blazer frames are boxed. The only problem is that they have IFS, as well as newer Toyotas, which is a whore to chop out. My advice is to build a frame. Boxed tubing is fairly cheap and you can start with something that hasnt been abused/fatigued. I guess it depends on end goal for truck. Anything can be made with a welder and a plasma cutter (or in my case, a cutoff wheel, reciprocating saw and mig )
Old 10-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 171506
Build a frame for it, it will be a good learning experience for you if you have never really fabbed anything before. But, if you really want to make a frame work, I would go with a S10 frame. I have seen a few peaople use Gen1 Ranger frames also... good luck!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 171421
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineye View Post
Build a frame for it, it will be a good learning experience for you if you have never really fabbed anything before. But, if you really want to make a frame work, I would go with a S10 frame. I have seen a few peaople use Gen1 Ranger frames also... good luck!
Thanks to all who responded. I've been looking for a Ranger.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 130300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tineye View Post
prob not the best idea...I don't think a frame is a good "first project". It wouldn't have been mine.

I'd use the ranger
Mikes79bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 125507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes79bronco View Post
prob not the best idea...I don't think a frame is a good "first project". It wouldn't have been mine.

I'd use the ranger
So, whats the advantage of using a ranger frame? I'm not familiar with Fords, but the s10 blazer frame is pretty stout to start with (as s10 trucks don't have boxed in frames, and it seems s10 blazers are everywhere), after you chop that shitty ifs off of course......
Old 10-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 130300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstycj View Post
So, whats the advantage of using a ranger frame? I'm not familiar with Fords, but the s10 blazer frame is pretty stout to start with (as s10 trucks don't have boxed in frames, and it seems s10 blazers are everywhere), after you chop that shitty ifs off of course......
Nothing that I'm aware of...im just partial to ford
Mikes79bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 171776
my dad and i build a lot of 40s and 50s trucks and depending on the cab you use the mid size trucks will not be wide enough to fill out the fenders. the best truck we have used is dodge full size. they are cheep, have v8s and 4x4, and the biggest plus it the fairly flat frame rail. i was looking at doing something similar with my ranger but the frame horns in the front are above the frame in the back so when you put the cab on it it will be really high over the frame. also the same with the yota and the s-10. you could also use later full size chevy if you don't like dodge but the frames are a little weird in the back.
MakerOfBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 171421
Thanks for your reply. I'm not worried about fenders - no fenders. All I have so far is a cab and a hood. A Ranger frame would keep things all Ford. I'd go with a stock height 4x4 frame and channel the body over it.