Mid engine rock crawler? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 46844
Mid engine rock crawler?

I am trying to figure out how they make the mid engine crawlers work...are you just flipping the axles upside down? If so, and I wanted to make a streetable mid engine trail rig, would upside down axles lube? (at highway speed)

Or is it something else? ie...where does the direction of travel switch back to a conventional front engine RWR. Are there reverse rotation transfer cases out there that can handle 6bt type torque?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by chinookpilot77; 10-24-2010 at 08:25 PM.
chinookpilot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12008
The basic answer is most people run the rear tc output yoke to the front axle and the front tc output to the rear axle. Now all we need to adjust for is the rotation of the pinion. As you'll see in most mid engine rock crawlers, a Ford 9" axle housing and center section is used. The center section is flipped upside down to correct the rotation. A 9" is a simple diff to flip. Currie and Randy's both make pinion housings with the inlet/outlet oil holes reversed so the pinion is oiled correctly. I've seen many Dana 60 diffs with a baffle welded in the housing to catch oil work well also.

So to recap, you can use most any standard rotation diff and flip it to correct for a mid engine set up.

The other option to consider is using unimog outters on a Dana 60 or 9" housing. The mog outters rotate backwards so once installed with a Dana 60 or 9", you would have corrected rotation without flipping a housing.

Tony K
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 168181
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinookpilot77 View Post
Are there reverse rotation transfer cases out there that can handle 6bt type torque?
SCS Gearbox makes a reverse rotation gearbox... its common on +1000hp mud trucks... its pricey though.... $3500

another option is a v-drive which will switch the rotation

flipping the axles like you mentioned is probably the most common... and yes, you will need to modify oiling to the pinion bearing which isnt really difficult... there are several builds on here that show various ways of doing it... also you will be running on the coast side of the ring gear
Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12008
The major factor that limits your options is simply wheel base and height.

The desired goal is all the weight dead center in the car but that generally means the motor is pretty far forward in a mid engine car. That makes for a really short front driveline when you're trying to build a 100" wb car. The common mistake is getting the engine too far back in the car and then you've lost all your advantage of sticking the motor behind you to start with.

Pirate does have a ton of good builds to look at. Most are very well planned. It's easy to screw things up in a mid engine car if you don't plan well. Often we create an order of importance based on where the seat and hood goes. But it's critical to get the shocks and links in productive spots first.

I think what I always enjoyed most about a mid engine car was it's just different than what most people have. Maybe I'm an attention whore but I kinda liked the fact when I showed up, I got lots of people looking cause the car was just different than most.

Tony K