Old School 4x4 Daily Driver - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 173652
Old School 4x4 Daily Driver

Hi, first post here! I am currently working on selling my 540i so that I can buy a truck. A truck would come in handy for hauling things for work occasionally, I also work on vintage motorcycles, so it would be nice to be able to haul my bikes/ buy parts bikes and not have to rent, and also I've always dreamed of not having to dig my vehicle out after a snow storm. For now it would just be driven on the street as a DD, but possibly become a future project.

I have a bit of a bias towards the imports as I've always owned imports. For a while I've been looking at first gen Toyota 4x4's (79-84) and found one that I had my heart set on. However I still have to sell the 540, and the truck sold, so heart broken I expanded my search a bit and found that Datsun 620 conversions pop up for sale every now and then, and often for quite a bit less than the first gen yotas.

So my question is, how do you guys feel about either of these trucks as a DD. What is parts availability like (I'd guess its a lot harder to find stuff for the Datsun?) And do you guys have any other suggestions of cool old school trucks to take a look at?
boomshakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Have you sat in one?

As for a DD I like more creature comforts than a 620 has.....

Also if its been converted to 4x4 how was it done? ......... thats why they are cheap I bet.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 173652
I have not sat in one. I'm actually located in Chicago, so I will likely be flying out to buy whatever truck I buy and then either shipping it home or road tripping it back. Its really pretty rare to find anything of that age, much less a 4x4 truck, in chicago that is in any sort of decent shape.

As for comforts, meh, I'm young, I can deal with a lack of them. But good point about the possibility of a shody conversion.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Launch it

Member # 43592
Send a message via MSN to Georgia boy '88
Here's a thread with some info on the older converted mini-trucks, though it mostly discusses the Fords.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=930933
Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 173652
ya, looks like even the quality 521/620 conversions done by Northwest ATV were not all that great for daily use. The rear ends were stock and the front end was a jeep unit. Problem is there is no jeep front end that matches the stock rear gearing. So 4x4 on pavement causes problems.

I guess I'll just keep looking for the right 79-83 yota.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 161597
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
ya, looks like even the quality 521/620 conversions done by Northwest ATV were not all that great for daily use. The rear ends were stock and the front end was a jeep unit. Problem is there is no jeep front end that matches the stock rear gearing. So 4x4 on pavement causes problems.

I guess I'll just keep looking for the right 79-83 yota.
but you can always build one!
andrewcosmo is offline   Reply With Quote