starter problems. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 158395
starter problems.

i got a 82 toyota pickup 4x4 with a stock 22r. back in june i had to replace the starter because the starter would draw to much amps upon start up. since then i had to warranty the starter 3 times, because upon trying to start the truck the dash lights would dim as if power was being drawn but the truck wouldn't start. then i would have to tap/hit the starter and it would start. i beleive its contact failure. the brand is a delco remy napa starter. i was just wondering if anyone has had this problem with napa starters? or could ther be something wrong with my truck? thanks.
jamin_808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 138801
I don't think the starter is your problem ... bad grounds can cause issues like these, I had similar ones in my truck. Make sure the power wire to the starter is a fat gauge, make sure you have adequate chassis and body grounds.

Before I added proper grounds my motor was really hard to start and the starter would really struggle. Now that I added ground from motor to chassis , motor to body , and battery to body grounds my starters works much better and my voltage remains much more constant
geo in a K5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 67941
i am havin the exact same problem. i have ground and i have a fat power cable. also have a brand new starter. ever figure it out?
toyota4wd1007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 170546
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota4wd1007 View Post
i am havin the exact same problem. i have ground and i have a fat power cable. also have a brand new starter. ever figure it out?
Did you check the ground from the battery to the chassis and from the chassis to the block?
SkooledMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 209340
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooledmedic View Post
did you check the ground from the battery to the chassis and from the chassis to the block?
x2
whitwilliams74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.