Headlight "Flickering" Problem '98 Durango, Help Me Diagnose - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Antisocial

Member # 139337
Headlight "Flickering" Problem '98 Durango, Help Me Diagnose

Somewhat recently my Durango just started having headlight issues. I was driving down the road when they just started flickering on and off randomly. (Sometimes they'd stay on 5 seconds shut off for 2, come on then off rapidly, etc.) I made it to work that day and it didn't happen for a while.

The problem came back, and it's really starting to fucking annoy the piss outta me . Pulled over the road the other day looking for relays and fuses. Found someone had jerry rigged the Back up light/ daytime running light fuse with a mini fuse that was blown but had copper wire wrapped around the terminals to "bypass the fuse". Put in proper sized fuse thinking that would solve it. (Thought DRL stood for "Driving Lights" ) Nope, almost made it to work when it happened again pulled over and let it sit and was on my way. That's the thing, it only happens when driving for extended periods, i.e. 20+ minutes, but that time seems to be getting shorter. If I let it sit, the longer the better, they'll come back on normally until driving for a few more minutes and do it again.

I pulled what the Haynes manual said was the headlight relay, but the lights still come on anyway. I found the actual headlight fuse and it was good. Pulled it and lights shut off. Wiggling on the headlight switch/knob has no effect on it either, though it seems loose. Does same thing with brights on, they don't affect it at all, and all other lights work fine; parking lamps, turn signals, brake signals, etc.

I found another thread with the exact same symptoms, but no diagnosis. Please help, I'm fawking lost as to where to start. Almost seems like something's heating up causing it to not work. Not much on vehicle background as I got it off craigslist at end of November.
I found out about him being an orphan Chinese immigrant. Dude worked the first half of his life in a dim overcrowded toy factory, scrubbing lead dust off of dolls. I can just see him over in the corner with his little asbestos brush and a bottle of formaldehyde cleaner...[...]
JMAN3203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 148442
Sounds like a bad ground to put it simply. A frayed or split ground can cause this.

Do you have any change if you hit potholes, washboards, or speedbumps?
Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 163263
Had the same problem in a 98 ram I owned briefly it is the headlight switch going bad. As you drive longer with the headlights on the heat in the switch makes it shut off and it is doing it sooner because the switch is about to fail like mine did.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Antisocial

Member # 139337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftis61 View Post
Sounds like a bad ground to put it simply. A frayed or split ground can cause this.

Do you have any change if you hit potholes, washboards, or speedbumps?
Negative. Highly doubt ground as it only happens when driving extended periods of time and comes back on whenever I shut them off and turn them back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Ford Wheeler View Post
Had the same problem in a 98 ram I owned briefly it is the headlight switch going bad. As you drive longer with the headlights on the heat in the switch makes it shut off and it is doing it sooner because the switch is about to fail like mine did.
I have read this too. Will replace switch and go from there. Didn't do it this morning because I left early and just pulled off the road and shut it down for a few minutes.

Anybody know of any USA made switches?
I found out about him being an orphan Chinese immigrant. Dude worked the first half of his life in a dim overcrowded toy factory, scrubbing lead dust off of dolls. I can just see him over in the corner with his little asbestos brush and a bottle of formaldehyde cleaner...[...]
Old 01-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Antisocial

Member # 139337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Ford Wheeler View Post
While this was what I was going for, you were correct. Had to drive home in the fawking snow, Arkansas snow mind you, (Meaning it's slick as hell.) with no damn lights. I had just got a BWD switch at OReilly's and my dad was there too with a blown up water pump, those bearings LET GO. And now my mom's Jeep won't charge the battery with a good alternator.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. Switch was the problem.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 148442
Actually, I feel your pain. Seriously. Last summer my buddy and I stayed with his parents in Bella Vista and tried "clubbing" at Dixon St (turns out, its not my thing). The roads in that area are total shit for snow. My sympathies.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Antisocial

Member # 139337
Ok, I'm lost again. My headlights have been giving me hell again, but with slightly different symptoms this time. NOW, they don't turn on when I pull the switch; sometimes they come right on, other times it takes a minute or more. I wiggle the switch, turn on/off, etc. whenever this happens and doesn't really seem to have any effect. And it only really does it when I have to leave for work.

I was driving to my parent's house about 2-3 weeks ago and they actually flickered and shut off 1 time, that was it. I bought a new switch that day and it hasn't had a problem since; never replaced the switch just bought one. Whenever it doesn't work, none of my lights work. (High beam or low)

Any clues?

Last edited by JMAN3203; 12-20-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Antisocial

Member # 139337
Never updated this, but I was pissed off and decided to replace the switch in the parking lot at the shooting range. Turned out some jack wagon busted off one of the terminals for the switch so it was never making proper contact. (Wasn't me as they tried to glue it back together) I went ahead and put the new switch in and took me a few tries to get the glued together piece to not "bend over" whenever I connected the two. Working fine since.