2003 dodge 5.7 hemi miss firing - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 164801
2003 dodge 5.7 hemi miss firing

my bad for posting this in the section earlier...

i have a 2003 dodge 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. i have 111,XXX miles on it. it started a miss fire in cylinder 2. i put new plugs in it about 10,000 ago. i put new wires and coil boots on it. that didn't fix it. i took the coil off that cylinder and put in on cylinder 1. and it was still missing in number 2. so i know it's not the coil. i took it to a mechanic and he took the plugs out of number 1 and switch them with number 2. and it quit missing. but now it's missing again and i'm just wondering if you guys had any ideas i could try.
Warno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 178637
use the key trick to pull any codes other than #2 misfire. Reset the computer after and see if that helps. Should clean the throttle body too, just use intake cleaner on a rag and wipe it all squeaky clean. Careful of the sensor in the hemi hat, don't snap it off. New air filter, check your oil level, etc. Try that, let us know if you find any codes

Last edited by freestyledude; 02-02-2011 at 05:00 PM.
freestyledude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 164801
i guess i should have said that i put a new air filter on it. already and it didn't change anything. i have the truck at the mechanic again. i gave up on it. i'll post up what he finds if anything.

Last edited by Warno; 02-02-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 130335
Does it miss all the time? Use a stethoscope on the #2 injector and see if you can hear it clicking.

Check for any other codes.
MegaCPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 164801
yeah it missed all the time. checking with the scan tool there have been no other codes brought up. just the miss fire.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 178637
pull the plug and see if it's wet, white, etc
freestyledude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 181394
yea you are going to have to pull that plug and see if its burning rich or wet from antifreeze, etc. compare it with the hanes manual to see what is happening within that plug/cylinder. could be getting wet with antifreeze = blown head gasket, normally you will smell antifreeze and your radiator might be low also.

have you done a compression test, or even checked the fuel injector to see if its dumping too much fuel?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 164801
turns out it was the fuel injection. the mechanic ran the cleaning solution stuff through it (i don't know what it's called) and it cleared up. he said that, that year dodge didn't put fuel filters on there trucks and they don't have return lines on the system so any crap that's in the fuel just piles up in the fuel rails or runs through the injectors and clogs them up. so it seems if this happens again i'll be putting an inline filter in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.