1990 GM 1500 silverado(?) truck AT problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 192026
1990 GM 1500 silverado(?) truck AT problems

Hi all.

I inherited a GM 1500 superduty which was run into the ground by my grandfather. I want to keep it around so I can haul firewood, etc. It's not going to be an offroad truck by any means.

The AT trans in it went and my father picked up the tab to fix it. The mechanic who replaced it thankfully is covering them under warranty because he has put SEVEN of them in this truck and they've all failed within 1000 miles. I'm frankly fed up with it. My father is retired and has time to chase this BS - I'm looking to do a MT swap. If this is a common problem on aftermarket transmissions or this sounds familiar, please do chime in. Otherwise I have a shopping list:

From the junkyard I need to grab the MT itself, shifter, linkage(?), bell housing and clutch assy, clutch pedal and linkage. Do I need a driveshaft? Do I need to find the transfer case? Should I look for a specific trans or just find a wrecked 1500 with what I want and go from there?

Thanks
Josh
tiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 192026
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo in a K5 View Post
And you've proven yourself to be an idiot. Its a stock truck okay then fix it with stock parts that bolt on and that others have done thousands of times but your just too dumb to search the web for it.
Why would I when it's a good time to talk about what else fits under there? I think you're reading a bit too much into your boyfriends post up there. He was talking about K&N, not KY. Don't get excited.

I asked about ripping apart an AT. It's clearly something you haven't done if you have nothing interesting to suggest about that project.
tiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links