Deciding on a fishing truck - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 53022
Deciding on a fishing truck

Hey yall.

I could use some advise and suggestions for picking a truck. I've always built big heavy full size trucks and not to sure that's the way to go with this project, but I dont know much about the other options.

What I'm lookin to do is build a truck for fishing. I live in Texas and will be moving down to the mid coast reagion in the next year or two. I would like to have my truck ready by then. I would be taking the truck along the bays and up and down the Islands. I want to be able to get to the most remote parts (loose sand, no maintenance, no access to paved roads or civilization for quite some time) of the islands that run along most of our coast line. I need something that can haul all my fishing gear, my 'just in case' gear (water, fuel, food, tent, ect), along with a couple buddies and maybe a kayak pluss what ever else I decide to bring along. I'd also like it to be able to haul a mid sized bay boat some day.

Just from looking at vehicles on the roads and parking lots I'm thinking about maybe a Xterra, Explorer, 4Runner, Trooper or the likes. Like I said though, I know NOTHING about these vehicles as far as drive train, off road ability, reliability, dependability, access to factory and aftermarket parts, ect.

I would want to outfit the vehichle with a roof rack, rear bumper with full size spare and reciever, front bumper with winch and lockers. I'd like to be able to run 33 or 35" tires.

So........given my needs, could yall recomend some vehicles that would fit my application and treat me nicely?

Oh, and it has to be able to haul the masses of fish I plan on catching too!
13MWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 166202
I would look into a Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.

Both are capable in stock form and enjoy all the aftermarket support you could ever want for a simple project like your.

There are other options like Toyota and Land rover, but im a jeep guy, so thats where I would look.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
first choice; 4-runner, second choice; Jeep Cherokee, then Grand Cherokee.

( all this time, I've been fishing with a boat )

Dana 60 or 14 bolt disk brake kits $315 shipped http://www.lugnut4x4.com/
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 148442
Burban with 1-ton running gear and bbc.

Plenty of space for family and gear. Plenty of power and beef in the drivetrain to get you where you need to go. Cheap replacement parts, cheap maintenance, and cheap to find the initial burban to build.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 132813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftis61 View Post
Burban with 1-ton running gear and bbc.

Plenty of space for family and gear. Plenty of power and beef in the drivetrain to get you where you need to go. Cheap replacement parts, cheap maintenance, and cheap to find the initial burban to build.
Plenty of weight to get you stuck too
higgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 148442
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgo View Post
Plenty of weight to get you stuck too
Meh, you cant have your cake and eat it too.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 103621
I would get a 01-04 Tacoma double cab with the 3.4L v6. Plenty of power for 33s, massive aftermarket support, light, roomy enough for 4 peeps.

1982 Toyota 4x4 - [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774031&highlight="]The Dirt Squirrel[/URL]: Phase II underway: 4.3L CPI, TH350, Toy 2.28/D300 OTT doubler, D60/14B/5.13s, f150 RUFs, artec linked rear, Profender c/o's, 44" Skinny Boggers, fool hydro...

1992 Dodge D350 Cummins tow whore
1979 Toyota Hilux 2wd DD with a 2rz. Turbo coming soon.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 166202
[QUOTE=( all this time, I've been fishing with a boat ) [/QUOTE]

Old 08-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPYJOHN View Post
( all this time, I've been fishing with a boat )

Good one! I just recently got into surf fishing and realy enjoy it, still prefer a boat, but it's hard to beat combining off roading with fishing!

Thanks for the suggestions. I never gave much thought to the Grand Cherokee, those were available with a V8 right? That would sure make pulling a bay boat around a bit easier.

As far as the suburban, all pro's as far as I'm consorned, except as somebody said I think it would be too heavy for the sand. I'm a big truck kinda guy, I like them big, loud and offensive monsters......just not thinking that's the best thing for the sand.

Thanks again yall.
13MWZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 10063
Explorers ('91-'94) are great plentiful trucks that get widely overlooked for offroad builds, and can often be had cheaper because of that. They have good sturdy drivetrains with lots of aftermarket (gears & lockers abound). There isn't as much in the way of bolt-on bumpers and armor as for a Cherokee or even the 4Runner, though if you have a welder and a weekend, then anything goes.

The Xterra & Trooper are less supported than the others mentioned in this thread, though I know a company called Calmini makes some stuff for Nissans.

Yeah a Suburban on tons ain't gonna work too well in sand unless you put some reeaaalllly big wide tires on it in hopes of achieving some flotation with it (which would still have to be radials at the same time too).
Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 141714
it sounds like what you need is an suv. Plenty of room for people and gear inside out of the weather. I would sayford explorer cause they are so common and you can get them with a v8 for the power.
Gf has a exploder with the v8 and it gets about 15mpg if thats a concern. Its also auto 4x4 but then its an eddie baur edition.
Fredy_C is offline   Reply With Quote