BW 1345 Transfer Case to a NP208 Swap??? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > General Tech > Newbie General 4x4 Discussion
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 166314
BW 1345 Transfer Case to a NP208 Swap???

Hey All,

I have a 1991 Ford Pathfinder E350 Econoline Super Club Wagon.
The Transfer Case cannot 'find' 2-Wheel Drive.
I need to have it rebuilt.
I would like to upgrade it with something better.
I have a Borg Warner 1345.
I was going to get a 1356 when I was told that the 1356 is not a direct swap, but that an NP208 is and a better T-Case anyway.
Is the NP208 a good direct-fit replacement for my burnt out 1345?
From pictures, it looks a lot smaller.

Thanks.

Last edited by Super Wagon; 08-07-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Super Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
IMO you were given bad info. The 1356 is, IMO, the best of the three options you have mentioned. It may not be a DIRECT swap, but damn close and no more or less work than an NP208 (probably less actually). Any Ford t-case will bolt up to your trans - - I'm only assuming you're running a married setup as I've never seen a divorced BW13xx. You'll just have to work out minor shift linkage issues and maybe address driveshaft lengths - standard fare IOW.

However you might just open up your 1345 and see what it needs. I can tell you right now it'll be the range shift fork and shift pads. Even if you get a used 1356 I'd check this anyhow as it's the second most common issue behind the oil pump arm eating thru the case. Later model 1356s had some minor improvements, but the closer you get to 92-96 the more likely you're gonna find pushbutton shift units which are shit - esp in half-tons and Broncos. Too bad we're so lazy as consumers that we don't want to pull a lever.

Bronco cases will have a flange mount or fixed yoke and thus "factory SYE." Actually this would be an upgrade IMO, but you'd have to pony up for a whole new rear d/s with slip shaft.

If you pony up for a red star and search the Ford forum you'll find more info than you know what to do with.

Last edited by D60; 08-08-2011 at 09:05 AM.
D60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.