Pirate 4x4 banner

1986 nissan z24i timing issues

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Nskeeter99 
#1 ·
let me start off by saying im a toyota guy an when my friend showed me this four cylinder engine with eight spark plugs i was like wtf! anyways he just got the engine rebuilt and engine shop assembled all the way to the valve cover . he installed it in the truck and since then it has ran like crap. I agreed to take a look at it for him seein how he doesnt know a lot about trucks. when he brought it over it sounded like the timing was off i found out its supposed to be at 5 deg btdc and it was pretty far off. so i took out the bolt that hold the dizzy and advanced it to 5 deg it ran good after that. the problem is i cant put the bolts back in to secure the dizz to the block. its like it is off a tooth. Now in a toyota i could just pull it off, rotate the gear and slide it back in, but on this thing it seems it can go in only one way because of little slot thing that the dizz slides onto. I would really appreciate iny help on, thanks.

#2 ·
Set the engine at TDC. Remove oil pump. Remove dizzy. Install the oil pump/dizzy gear per FSM. Basically align the dots. Then the dizzy only goes in one way. Super easy. The dizzy is keyed so it cannot be installed wrong. The trick is the oil pump gear install.

#3 ·
thanks man that worked. i guess the oil pump was off a tooth. My next question is are these engines really gutless? this nissan is stock on 32's and it drives about how my 4runner does on 38's with 5.29 gears and a 22re. thanks for the help

#6 ·
well thanks for the help guys. sadly when the kid was drivin it home about 15 miles fom my house the motor took a crap on him. he said it started makin a wierd sound and the down pipe under the manifold was glowin red. i went and checked it out when i turned it on it sounded like an old diesel. then i turned it over by the crankshaft nut and could feel metal hitting like maybe the valves and the piston. Im not really sure what happened to the thing but im pretty sure it had nothing to do with me setting the time. I told him he should take it back down to his uncles shop because it sounded like something in the top end failed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.