Pirate 4x4 banner

I need to see some of the most built 1ton xterras

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  RockRogue 
#1 ·
Trying to decide which of my vehicles is going to receive the HP60 I scored. I've got coil overs and 42 iroks laying around also. The Xterra turns me off in the regard that it's got nearly 200k miles and if it pops what am I going to do for upgrades etc in the drivetrain. Anyone put a SBC in one ?

Where's the outta control stuff at ?!? :grinpimp:

#2 · (Edited)
What kind of engine in your X? Other than the timing chain guides, not much of the engine will wear out. My KA24E has 300,000 on the clock, with stock engine and trans, and after 17 years of work and abuse I have only had to replace the water pump once, clutch once, and just now am having my cheap gas haunt me with a stuck injector, but I have done plugs, and oil when required. If you have a 5spd, its a T5, which Chevy and Ford use. I would worry more about steering and suspension components than the engine.

But, yeah, I want to see some wicked X-Terras as well.

#3 ·
What kind of engine in your X? Other than the timing chain guides, not much of the engine will wear out. My KA24E has 300,000 on the clock, with stock engine and trans, and after 17 years of work and abuse I have only had to replace the water pump once, clutch once, and just now am having my cheap gas haunt me with a stuck injector, but I have done plugs, and oil when required. If you have a 5spd, its a T5, which Chevy and Ford use. I would worry more about steering and suspension components than the engine.
Ummmm.... it most likely has the V6...

No timing chain guides. Has a timing belt.

And the tranny in the xterras is not the T5.

If he is swapping in a HP60, the stock steering and suspension is obviously gonna disappear. The Nissans have a nice rise in the frame in the front that allows you to keep em low when you SAS them.

For motor options, some 2002-2004 xterras came supercharged from the factory. Or you could swap in the turbo stuff off of a Z car.

The downfall to using Nissan running gear is the t-case situation. Luckly there are some vendors out there. You can do t-case gears, D300 doubler, or swap to an atlas.

I say you build it, and am looking forward to a build thread.:D

#4 · (Edited)
Was hoping he would say what year it is. The early X-Terras had the KA in the base models and the VQ in the other trim packages, superchargers were on the highest level packages only. If its a VQ, then I would worry more about the engine. Renault designed it, since they took control of Nissan after 95. Best I have found is that the D21, and WD21 were the last trucks designed and built in house by Nissan. Anything later than that was done by the French. If he has a VQ, hopefully someone here has experience enough with those engines to help him out. Personally I prefer my Nissans to be Nissans.

So we know we need to know...

A: What year.
B: What engine.
C: Trim level.
D: Trans type.

What manual trans did they switch to in the X-Terras? Every Datsun/Nissan I have come across with a 5spd had a T5 in it. Even the old Z cars ran T5s.

#11 ·
Any specs on the Bubarope rig ? Is it using the stock Tcase etc ? What front leafs are those ? I got it in writing from the ol lady I can do whatever I want to the X and I have a set of tons / 42's and alot of other parts laying around. I guess its Xterra build time .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.