Pirate 4x4 banner

86 720 issues

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TrikeKid 
#1 ·
I recently inherited/acquired an 86 720 king Cab 4x4, and I have a couple of questions.

The previous owner rebuilt the engine, and it seems to be fairly solid. It does idle fairly rough, and has a tendency to die at idle. The PO mentioned that he had the distributor body 180 out, which prevented setting timing to the correct value. Something about the oil pump drive or something, he wasnt very clear. Anyone have any ideas on that?

The clutch tends to bleed down to where you have to pump it if its been sitting for a couple of days. The PO stated he replaced every part of the clutch system, and it did not fix the issue. Ideas?

Lastly, does anyone have any idea on where to get doot hinge pin bushings for these things?

#2 ·
I have an 84 KC 4x4 with the same issues.My Dist is also 180 out and instead of firing from the front of the engine back,it fires from the firewall to the front.I was told on another board that it will be fine.Some of the idling/stalling could be due to the crappy stock carburator.WEBER carbs work best and a great upgrade.

#3 ·
vacuum lines are probably part of the culprit, since they are fairly old and iirc it has a vacuum choke depending on how rough it is idling, and if it is an early 86 or late, i'd also check to make sure that two wires are not out of sequence, it's not unheard of on L and Z series blocks for them to run like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.