Pirate 4x4 banner

Basic rear axle info needed - helping out a Navy girl

818 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ytowntj 
#1 · (Edited)
A good friend is deployed and his wife's (also Navy) 2008 xterra is having "grinding noises from the rear end" as she described last night. Im headed over there in a few days to dig into it. Its her only transportation.

After searching several nissan/xterra forums Ive deteremined everyones fix is take it to the dealer:rolleyes: I resort to PBB.

Can you guys point me in the direction of some specs on the rear axle? Model, semi float or c clip, common bearing or gear issues etc?

Its a 2WD so Im assuming open diff? She claims it is worse under acceleration and doesnt get any worse around corners. That rules out spiders/side gears and points to R&P or bearings Id assume.

Its 2 hours out to her house in the middle of now where. Any tools Ill need specific to nissans to pull the cover and shafts? Recommended weight gear oil? Im a Jeep, Dodge, and Toy guy and have never laid a hand on an Xterra. Im assuming all metric?

Flame away as long as you post a link with some decent info:flipoff2:

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link. Every combination of xterra and forum I tried into google brought me to a disgraceful site and conversations about brush guards. That seems like a good forum

2WD = c200 rear axle for sure?

Edit: Found what I was looking for. c200k for sure, semi float, probably bad pinion bearings as it seams there have been a rash of them.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.