Pirate 4x4 banner

On my way to King Of The Hammers when my Titan....

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  -Twitch- 
#1 ·
I know this is not 4x4 related but its related to King of the Hammers so...

***CLIFF NOTES (For the ones that don’t like to read)***
- 2004 Titan SE Tow Package 98K miles
- Started sputtering and loss power while towing trailer (5000lbs)
- Put in Park revs to about 4000rpms and then sputters
- Check engine Light\ P0300 Random Cylinder Misfire
- Drove hour home truck kept sputtering and would limit rev till eventually would not allow to rev. I would turn off truck and it would work but eventually die out.
- Last 2 miles home it would not rev over 1400rpm
- When I start and rev up it sputters and then completely dies
WHAT DO I DO

I have a 2004 Titan SE Tow Package 98k miles

A little over a year ago I was towing a trailer that weighed about 3500lbs when the truck started to sputter and loose power.

Took it to the dealership they could not reproduce problem nor did it have any error codes.

6 Months later towed the same trailer 6 hours and then towed back a trailer weighing in at about 5000lbs and had no problems

Fast forward…

Today I went to tow a trailer weighing about 5000lbs. I got 2 hours into my 3 hour journey when the truck started to sputter as I went up a hill.

It eventually got so bad it would only let me rev up to 2000rpms. I pulled over put it in park, it went up to about 4000rpm’ before it sputtered and dropped down.

After playing with it for awhile I got it to throw a check engine code. I took it to the dealer and they read the code p0300 Multiple Cylinder Misfires. He recommended that I change the spark plugs because of the mileage.

NOTE: through out this all it would get better at some points running just fine and then it would progressively start to limit the rev.. It also completely died on me a couple of times

I limped it the hour and half home. As I drove home it would start out either perfect or limit the rev to 4000rpms and then slowly limit the rev till it would only rev to 1500rpms. I would pull over turn the truck off, immediately turn it back on and it would either allow me to rev prefect or to 4000rpms… and repeat.

It was a fun drive home!

Then on the last 4 miles it got to the point were it would only let me rev to 15000rpm.

I got it home let it sit for an hour, went back out and started it up in park, I could rev it up to about 4000rpms and then it would sputter and completely die. I did this several times.

No KOH for me:mad3::mad3:

See less See more
#6 ·
seems to m that youre having fuel starvation , check the filters and flow from the gas pump

that happen tom me on my truck (ford F250) only after a long haul while asking high rpm (towing with OD off ) for sustainted time mostly on up hills then began to sputter as you described and didnt recover until i leave a hour to cold down then run well, i change the Gas pump and callit done , but it kept doing some not as bad but still have issues

it ended to be a filter that some previous owner fitted in the chasis rail semi hide that i wasnt aware of , change this and work like champ

#9 · (Edited)
seems to be quite a few issues on the titan boards about this , no real defintive
answer but a lot of them seemed to that it had to do with their cold air intake or maf

a few people took their CAI off and didnt have any issues after that , im not saying that is the issue just goin off of what other posted on the titan boards

#11 ·
Sounds like fuel starvation to me as well. The multi cylinder misfire sort of backs that up.

No inline filter, like most modern vehicles the filter is in the tank.
The pressure regulator is also in the tank.
the typical method of checking fuel pressure like this is to put a pressure gauge on the fuel line and put the gauge on the windshield. Drive around and see if the pressure drops off. I don't know of any good places to tap fuel pressure on a Titan fuel system.

#13 ·
Could also be your mass air flow sensor. Oxygen sensor not reading correctly causing truck to run lean. Vacuum leaks, fuel starvation yes but its not always a fuel pump. Maybe bad gas. Theres so many opitions on a spuddering issue, especially with a random misfire code.

Could be the k&n filter. If you recently cleaned it the oil could contaminate the mass air flow sensor. Seen it happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.