Pirate 4x4 banner

90 Hardbody SAS build

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Angler1979 
#1 ·
hey guys, im semi new to the forum and have been creepin around studying alot of build threads and i have laid out my plan. Specs: 90 hardbody v6 ex cab

Im going to go with the obvious choice of a waggy dana 44. Ive got my spring hanger, shackles and u bolt kits shipping in from calmini as we speak. Now to the questions.

What leaf packs should i run for 35s? I want it to sit low enough so its easy for my 55 year old dad to get in and out of without too much trouble.

I would like to keep the stock rear axle, on the door jam it says HG46 which i believe is the h233 with 4.625:1 ratio which should turn 35s descently, until i can save up for new gear sets. Do they make a 4.625 for the 44? if not which gear sets can i match with both axles?

Steering: I would prefer not to buy a high steer kit and build my own set up. What options do i have here? Or do any of you know of a good kit for a descent price?

I am also tossing around the idea of just going with a ford 9 or 14 bolt but i would like to keep the cost as low as possible.

thanks guys -spencer

See less See more
#4 ·
You can fit 35" tires with the waggy springs. You can get 4.56 for dana 44 it will be within 5% on difference which is apparently OK.(from randy's ring and pinion). I did not check code on your rear end ,if it is an auto that ratio is probably correct. Gear's can get expensive and you do not want to do the front's twice,so you might figure out exactly what you want to run.
On high steer I can not help you being I went with Toyota front axle.You can also try Steve at Rugged Rocks . com . He only sells Nissan and his stuff is good quality. You might also look for a used set of 4.56 fir dana 44.You might get lucky and save some money. Good luck

#6 ·
Do not think its possible to do SOA SAS without hi steer. You can get a used h233 with 4.9s from a frontier or Xterra. Sometimes real cheap. I ran 35s with 4.88. But I was a 5speed. My pathy is 5.13s since it was 4.6 stock. I would suggest 5.13s since you had 4.6. I assume yours is an auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.