Pirate 4x4 banner

Need info on 98 pathfinder tranny

638 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Appalachia 
#1 · (Edited)
before I get started....Yes I did a search, yes I dug threw the threads & no results were found, so I've made an effort guys.

Problem:Wifeys daily driver 98 pathfinder aquired a bump/jump simaler to a miss, it would do it as the tourque converter locked up once it got into high gear regaurdless of running speed.

Sometimes it was just one little bump/jump, other times it would do it 5 or 6 times & quit for a few minutes then back to jumping, I could cut the overdrive off & it would stop stuttering, turn the OD back on & it resumed the bumping.

replaced the tourque converter & the problem persist, a week later the tranny crapped out, $1,200 dollar rebuild on the tranny & it still does it, 3 days & less than 200 miles it crapped out again.

Dont know if thers a connection but the problem started after a new distributer, plugs & wires were installed.

The guy is gonna make up the tranny but I wonder if ther mite be something else going on, maybe electronic.

Can someone offer any advice on what it mite be ??

Thanks in advance.

****** JUST IN CASE SOMEONE ELSE IS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM*****

Finally figured it out after 2 tranmission rebuilds, 3 new tourque converters,spark plugs & wires and 4 distribtors and the Nissan dealer try'n to run it down for 2 straight weeks with no results.

It turned out that the Orileys auto parts distributor was the problem, for some reason they just wouldnt function correctly for more than half a day, as a last ditch effort I bought the factory distributor from the nissan dealer (at $500) and it fixed it, runs perfect now.

WHAT IVE LEARNED...dont buy the cheap parts, you come out money ahead if you just break down & spend the cash for the factory parts.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.