Pirate 4x4 banner

1st gen pathfinder vs Xterra vs 4runner?

28K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr.510 
#1 ·
Which would be a better base for an overlanding rig and why? I know a bit biased in this forum but I though I ask.

The Xterra seems like a good project until I noticed the Pathfinder was sort of the predecessor of the Xterra. So out of those who which would be the better start?

I would take it the 4runner may cost a bit more to buy(newer model), but aftermarket parts would be a bit more affordable vs Nissan models?

#5 ·
4runners are way to pricey.. The last good pathy was in 1996..

Xterra is the better pick.. Gen 1 2000-2004 is more truck like vs the Gen 2 2005.. But the Gen 1 is a hair weak in the power area.. Gen 1 is rated 160-220hps.. Gen 2 is 261hps.. More car like ride.. Either Xterra is a good platform.. and there are lots of after market parts for them.. 4x4parts.com PRG Nisstec to name a few.. check out some Xterra forums.. Xterranation.org and thexterra.org See what others think

#7 ·
The toyota has more after market parts and are alot cheaper. I had a 1985 4 runner(only year with solid axle factory)it was a great rig. I now have a 1995 Pathfinder, I would not trade it for a toyota of the same year. It rides better, has more power and has a nicer interior (my opinion) then toyota of same year. The fuel mileage is pretty comparable between the three. Do not think because of there size that it will be very good. You could solid axle anything, and there are companies for the three you are interested that do it.
Rugged Rocks.com and 4x4parts.com both do parts for Nissan.

Good Luck

#8 ·
Which is the better all around motor the VG30 in the Pathfinder or the VG33(non-s/c)? I know the VG30 was also used in the Maxima, and the 300Z so I am sure one can get some parts from those cars to fix an issue or just to increase power, no?

#9 ·
I'd say the WD21 pathfinder above all the other Nissans mentioned here.
Off the lot, pre-'96 pathfinders have a decent linked rear suspension vs the leafs on the hardbody/xterra/frontier
yes it has the smaller 3.0 over the 3.3 xterra/frontier motor but the HP gains on the 3.3 aren't very noticeable in the Xterra/frontier for some reason.
If you really wanted to , you can drop a 3.3 into a pathfinder, it'll bolt up to the trans etc as well.

Although the pathfinder has far less power than the 2005+ 4.0L Xterra/Frontier, it also has a larger front and rear differentials and are a lot less prone to breakage.

The cargo area is room enough to pack a good amount of gear for extended camping trips.

I really like mine.

#11 · (Edited)
I ownd a 87 4runner for chasing a long travel 2wd hardbody, it was a good solid truck! IT blew the HG at 220,000...4 RUNNER stock spring packs in rear are only 48" unlike the toy trucks a longer span.. Toyota 89+ pickups are a better rig for a hard core buggy building! Xterra's got good shit but bulky as a school bus, lifted front travel is limited to 8" but rear spring span can flex like a rubber band with a bad ass rear axle.... Stay away from northern pathy's, frame rot is almost un repairable, but get the rear axle when it falls out to mount in a toy or a sand buggy! Old Toyota IFS is the most solid ifs of all 4x4"s, unless U build a expensive ass custom ford beam setup U can't afford ! YOTA frame setups are much easier to modify for a hard core rig IFS or SOLID AXLE.....Toy axles are weaker than Nissans, You need a NISMOYOTA. But a old pathfinder can run for ever! if you got the time and money Mix the trucks. But a Nissan will cause many more headaches and money to modify

#12 ·
On road handling is very good,if you leave 31" tires on it and stock height. As soon as you raise it that all changes. I would use mine to commute from South Lake Tahoe to Sacramento(mountain roads).
Frame rust can be a problem depending on where you live.

#14 ·
First Gen Pathfinder. For overlanding I would much rather have a truck with a strong IFS than a solid axle. Thousands of miles of dirt and gravel roads with 300+ pounds of unsprung weight bashing every pothole and shaking the truck apart does not appeal to me. This is an application where IFS really shines. Pathies handle exceptionally well for SUVs if you don't mess them up too much with offroad mods. They still out handle just about anything else similarly modified. If you're overlanding you're going to have a serious winch and recovery gear and you're not going to take risks or the "hard line" very often so a Pathy will be plenty strong enough.

I wheel the hell out of my Pathy but I try not to be an idiot. I've never bent or broken an IFS part badly enough that I couldn't drive home on it. They are really tough trucks and are quite capable right out of the box. Run stock Hardbody manual locking hubs - they are the strongest hubs made for these trucks. Nothing aftermarket even comes close. For overlanding do a steering idler brace, HooHaa center link, Bilstein steering stabilizer and a skid plate to the back of the T-case and you're pretty well set. Put a trans cooler on it if it's an auto and swap to a later HD version of the RE4R01A if you're headed for the Road of Bones or something where it absolutely cannot fail. Or start with a 5 speed truck and run synthetic in the gearbox. Tire size and ride height to suit your taste/travels. I like my truck low and flexy for the forests of the NW:

It's got a bit of droop left. That's no sway bars and longer rear shocks. Otherwise stock suspension will flex like this with no issues. A little hammer work was required to clear the 33s at full stuff with no lift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.