Pirate 4x4 banner

patrol parts ?

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  JpSuperDuty 
#1 ·
I recently obtained a 66 nissan patrol which is all stock and I plan on ditching the drivetrain because finding parts is gonna be hell. The question is should i just scrap the drivetrain or is it worth selling. If so what is a good price. Thanks in advance

#6 ·
Sorry for the late response.... anyways i was looking to keep it stock and rebuild the motor and run it as is but i cant find any rebuild parts. I thought i might just scrap the stock drivetrain and go with gm stuff. Also thought about stretching the whole thing a couple feet and make it a 6x6 or something using 14 bolts and a 60. Just an idea something different.

#8 ·
Yeah i joined that site and learned that there are very few US members. I would love to keep it original but the cost to ship parts would be too costly for me. Besides if i broke something on the trail i would be screwed and it would be down for a while. Its just easier to go with a domestic drivetrain i suppose. Thanks for the response. So if anyone needs drivetrain parts let me know.

#9 ·
There is a Nissan Patrol club in Albuqurque NM .

Whats wrong with the powerplant and drivetrain thats in it ?

They are quite simple, I have had four or five old Patrols myself, found them to be quite dependable, and easy to fix .

Still have a 69? ragtop at a buddys place .

I still have a T-case too, gawd is it heavy !

#11 · (Edited)
Just some FYI...and I been a die hard Patrol owner for about 20yrs. I am also 3/5ths of the way through a frame off resto on a 64. below I am talking about the classic Patrol, aka 1960-1979.

Engine parts are available in the USA. MotorPower (google search) has rebuild kits and related parts. But you will use PPU & P40 parts which are forklift motors. The Patrol got a "P" engine. Stock carb, forget it, I had to get a rebuild kit from South America.

Trans and t-case can be rebuilt, that is if you have good gears in there. Seals and bearings not to tuff to come by. Synchro rings, just like the carbs. Only available in South America as far as I know.

Axles, not that big of a deal to rebuild. Seals and bearings can be found for the most part, including for the ring & pinion. Axle shafts though are coarse spline and nothing to get excited about.

Body parts are available in the USA, search google for PACOL.

The rest of it, good luck. Few misc items around like a clutch but otherwise it is all unobtainium. When it comes to new parts such as trans gears, axle shafts or r&p, forget it. Not been available for many years.

I have given up on keeping them original unless somebody else wants to flip the bill and pay me to do the work. They are worthy of restoration but are extremely difficult to do right due to the lack of parts. Value wise, nice ones been selling for high teens and low 20's the last few years. But a frame off and you will be in it a lot more than that. But if you are going to toss a lot of coin at a resto, your money is better spent on a Cruiser simply due to the value of the truck in the end. Only hardcore die hards would do a resto and the ones I know don't have any money for that so most of them just DD old trucks with the occasional trip down a dirt road.

They are super cool trucks but not all that great off-road in stock form. About the same as any other stock truck from the 1960's. No lockers available for the axles, no gearing options for the axles or gear boxes, ect ect. The frames though are about 10x over built and make a Cruiser frame look like a toothpick. We also didn't get anything but SWB trucks in the USA. So when it comes to modifying, this can limit you a lot. This is why I think they are still so underground when it comes to people owning, building or restoring them.

IMHO, your best bet is to dump all the stock gear. Swap in Toyota stuff or domestic. Customize to your hearts content. But again SWB limits you a lot. The Aussies got a lot of MWB trucks but they can't mod them for shit due to laws in Australia. They are HUGE in Colombia and you see them around on the streets down there as much as you see jeeps up here. Things is, who is ready to import stuff from Colombia? And if you are do you speak Spanish and have a contact down there?

For all these reasons I am moving away from them. Like I say I will do one up for a client who wants to pay me for it, otherwise no thanks. I have imported a few and am game for that, just not really into it on my dime. Costs to much to import these days thanks to HLS.

Builders, buy them up and have fun. They certainly are unique. There is plenty around the USA still. A week ago I searched all of craigslist and there was at least 10 of them on there including a few nice original ones. But we only got 2600 in the USA so they are rare here.

Cheers

#16 ·
Hey guys. Picking up a 69 tomorrow that has been parked with a bad water pump a year ago. I've been to some of the websites mentioned above and done a bunch of Internet searching. Anybody have an idea of a source for the replacement part, or should I just ditch the entire drivetrain?

#17 ·
What are you after?

Restoring it right is difficult, very difficult. You can get the basics to do it, ie bearings, seals, ect but not much else.

It is worth the most money restored but you will also have the most cash into that unless you half ass it or it is in very good condition.

If you want to use and enjoy it. I would put Cruiser FJ60 axles under it, a Cruiser 5spd (H55) and a Cruiser split case or an NV4500 in place of the H55. For motor, the firewall makes a v8 swap nearly impossible unless you hack the firewall up a bit. A 4BT will fit in there just right though! You got to keep the drivetrain short too, WB is to short to get crazy with it.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.