Pirate 4x4 banner

Pathy DIY Hydro-assist Steering

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ram-on-Rocks! 
#1 ·
Here is a link that I found. I followed all the directions from this guys page and it worked perfectly! Didn't take long at all either and I spent less than $500 for hydro lines, cylinder, fittings, hymes and bolts. Better than $1200 for a kit...if you can find someone who makes one. :D

Nissan Pathfinder Hydro Assist Steering | Facebook

Let me know if it works out for you guys. I figured this is too good not to share. Enjoy. :beer:

#3 ·
When I measured my turning I measure it right at 8 inches. As far as 2 inch or 1.5, I found that the 2 inch is a little sluggish when trying to turn very quickly from left to right or right to left. You could use the 1.5 and probably eleviate that issue. I used a trans cooler from a Dodge van for a power steering cooler and I didn't find an issue of having to make the reservoir larger. I left that alone. The cooler is pretty big and I put it on the return line coming from the box to the res. The pump doesn't wine at all so feeding is fine. People get crazy when dealing with hydraulics and don't realize that no matter what position the hydraulic ram is in (in or out) fluid will be on either side of the piston. Therefore the quantity of fluid in the res will not change if the ram is extended of contracted.

#4 ·
no matter what position the hydraulic ram is in (in or out) fluid will be on either side of the piston. Therefore the quantity of fluid in the res will not change if the ram is extended of contracted.
however when the ram is contracted you have to consider the the volume of the shaft itself. A 2" x 8" shaft displaces about 14 fluid ounces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.