Pirate 4x4 banner

Hardbody Front Axle Swap

40K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Paul Nissan D21 
#1 ·
I am wanting to do a front axle swap on my 95 nissan hardbody, its 4x4 dont work because of auto locking so i am wanting to get manual hubs on an axle most likely, what axle works the best, whats the price, how many extra things do i need that the front dont have right now and how much would it cost, what all mods would i need to do to make the other axle work,

I appreciate any help,
Thanks- Paul

#6 ·
SAS Nissan

You have a lot of options on front axle. The most common is 1980-1985full size jeep wagoneer.(I think those are the years) I used a toyota front axle and cut and flipped the knuckles. It works well for me. I have seen full size truck axles under them also. It all depends on what your ultimate goal is. Is it something you want to be able to drive to the trail or trailer.
Cost is not really a good question. I had a toyota axle and high steer, so cost was really low. You also want to think about transfer case gears. 4x4 parts is the only one right now that does the gears 3.7-1. They are O.K. I am currently running them. Atlas makes an adapter for there transfer case, but it is expensive. There is another company in canada (I think its NORTH WEST fab)that makes a nissan to dana 300 doubler adapter. So think of what you want and start sourcing parts.
NissanTrailRiders.com (NTR) • Portal
Check out this forum you will find a lot of info and cost. They are good guys. Also Steven at RuggedRocks.com is very informative and can get you most things for your Nissan.
To give you an idea here is mine.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Well I have been told about the wagoneer but I have to get the "grand" because of where my diff is at on it, mine is on the drivers side so a toyota axle wouldnt swap up correctly with it because of being on opposite sides, I was told that if i do the swap from the wagoneer then I would have make sure i get high pinion (i think its high it might be low im not sure im new to offroading and need help badly) and was told that the wagoneer would bolt up fine and the 4x4 would work as long as it was manual hubs everything would be fine, but im not sure, any help is takin deeply

#10 ·
for the toyota swap you have to cut the knuckles off flip the axle and weld the knuckles back on, its a pain in the ass but its do able. the waggy axle is your best bet. its the same width as your stock rear axle which is what you want. if you want to run a hp44 out of a ford you need to find your self a ford 9'' for the rear so you can match the widths. having a hp44 narrowed is a pain because then you have to have custom axle shafts made and none of that is cheap. honestly for my pathfinder im going hp44/9" combo. then all i have to do is leaf mounts and steering. its the easiest and most cost effective imo

#15 ·
My 3cents Go Ford Dana HP60 & GM 14 Bolt or cheap route Waggy Dana 44 & 96 Rodeo rear Dana 44 And have rear discs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.