converting 2wd DD over? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2003, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 8397
converting 2wd DD over?

well i don't really know that much on my 95 nissan XE (2wd) and have had it as my DD for the past 6 years. since completing my trail truck ( toyota), it is time for a new project and have decided to use some of my extra Yota parts i have around on my nissan. i am wanting to swap in a 85 front axle and a 88 rear axle ( both have 4:88 gears in them) that i have laying out in the garage.i also have a W56 trans that i may possibly throw in,but don't want to at this time. as of right now, i just want to get the axles under it and the tires on it ( moreless just lifted right now ) and not worry about trying to adapt the different trans to my 2.4 motor and worry bout the 4wd just yet.

i have seen some people on here SAS the nissan,but don't seem to be a bunch ( any other places on the web for great info of people SAS'ing nissans?) i seen Lance apologize for something happening to this forum,so i guess most of the info is gone so no searching?

but how wide is a nissan axle? would i be able to just bolt up my Nissan driveshaft to the yota flange or have to have a shaft made? i will possibly be doing rear disc swap also, will the stock MC be enough or will i need to upgrade? to swap in a toyota trans, will i need an adapter like from Advanced Adapters? all info is greatly appreciated..i am wanting to do alot of research on this before i tear into my DD and screw something up. Thanks again for any info or to be lead in the right direction

jeremy

If your not breaking it, your NOT wheeling hard enough!!!
Toyotafourwheeln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2003, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
I sell guns...

Member # 14560
Send a message via AIM to fj40john Send a message via Yahoo to fj40john
the SAS will be straight forward...brakelines might even bolt up. I assume you are planning on fabbing the stuff yourself?

cant help you too much with the other stuff...

adapting the shaft wouldn't be too hard. and if you are running the toy tranny, then you will most likely have the toy t-case so it would be toy to toy, so just get a toy shaft.

not sure if anyone makes an adapter for nissan to toyota, but i doubt it. who knows, you may get lucky and they bolt up

keep us updated....

Facebook! If you are from the PBB, send me a message with your screen name so I know who you are.

All things NFA explained here...

BUY MY GUNS!!!
fj40john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2003, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8397
yeah was just gonna fab everything myself...just need to do my homework on all this and make sure i have everything straight before i start to cut

thanks for the info

Old 10-30-2003, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
I sell guns...

Member # 14560
Send a message via AIM to fj40john Send a message via Yahoo to fj40john
just go ahead and do the SAS and rear toy swap... should be fairly straightforward....gives you a life size model to work with as well instead of jsut going off of measurements.

Facebook! If you are from the PBB, send me a message with your screen name so I know who you are.

All things NFA explained here...

BUY MY GUNS!!!
fj40john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2003, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 14644
send me a PM

hey man, the 95' wouldn't be hard to SAS. Using a toy axle,the diff is on the other side. an option is using a toyota t-case divorce mounted to get the output on the correct side. You will need to make a new crossmember for the tranny regardless for d-shaft clearance, or modify the stock one. you can see some pics of mine on my website...the flex is inihibited a bit because the 40's were hitting the firewall then. i just move my axle foward and i'm about to cut the fire wall a bit too. if you have any questions, i'll be happy to help with what i can.
greg
bignissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2003, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 8397
thanks for the info greg,

do they make an adapter from my 2wd trans ( 5spd) to a Yota transfer case or 1 from the 2.4 motor to a W56 trans? as for right now,im just gonna throw the rear axle in ( yota) and do the SAS up front on it. will just use the nissan 2wd trans and only have 2wd in it for now. like i mentioned,it's my DD and get back and drive it to and from work,so im trying not to have it down to long ( probably just a weekend for the SAS and rear axle swap ) then i will get into doing more searching and homework as i get into making it 4wd thanks again for the info

BTW- do you know anything about the speed sensors in that nissan? i got it up to like 105mph one day on the freeway and ever since then, my speedo and mileage has been screwed.the check engine light is on and the speedo just goes up a little at a time until it gets turned off and restarted ran the codes on it awhile ago and it came up as a speed sensor..i guess ya need a computer to put it back in right? cuz i called the stealership ( only place around here that had the part) and they said to buy the part,then for them to put it in would be like $250..so need anything special to do that job? thanks

Old 11-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 14644
no adapters available, however, your 720 uses the same tranny as the 4wd models because the 4wd's have a divorced case stock anyhow. you can just run a divorced toy case so it'll have the same output and be super easy. i'd stick with the stock tranny and just gear the heck out of the toy cases. much cheaper and easier IMO. good luck
greg
Old 11-03-2003, 02:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 23105
The message boards on www.4x4parts.com have some SAS info on them.

For a little discount on Nissan parts go to nissanparts.cc
LoFrontier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2003, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 14644
SAS on nissan's are pretty straight foward....if you need any specifics send me an email.
greg
Old 11-06-2003, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8397
ok, thanks for the info guys

did the SAS on my yota so it shouldnt be to hard at all. just need to measure some stuff and will get started here in about a month or maybe sooner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.