axle ID questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2003, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11425
axle ID questions

this may be a strange couple of questions, but......

i was under my friend's 720 t-case equipped pick-up the other day and noticed a small, round, 3rd member rear axle. it reminded me strikingly of my Kia Sportage rear axle and was wondering if it possibly could be? would anyone have information like this? are there any specs on this axle? thanks, mostly curiosity, but could turn out to be something.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 14644
that is probably the h190....i THINK that is the other 3rd member rear end...but not sure. I know the other one is the H233b and that one is strong! the small one is otherwise known as junk...not sure on dimensions of axles on that one though.
bignissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11425
well, here's the interesting thing, i was following a hard-body pick-up yesterday afternoon, and it had the same sized diff and rounded housing, but i didn't see the 3rd member, so i couldn't tell if the webbing was the same or similar. so, if it's in the hard-body, is it the h190? or h233b? was probably a 4-cyl HB.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 14644
it depends, the v-6 hb's have the h233b, the 4 cylinders had the c200 which has a diff cover, and some of the newer ones have the h233b. the older trucks(maybe some hb's, but not sure) had the other drop out axle, which i THINK is the 190...but i could be wrong. basically the only good axle Nissan made is the 233b, which has a 233mm ring gear ( a little larger than 9") and 31 spline axle shafts. the newer ones are 33 spline. the BIG downside of them is gear availability and COST of parts.
bignissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2003, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 23878
Bad Gear availabilty for Nissan ?? Dude for the H233b you have 4.11, 4.875, 5.13 and 5.88 .. need anything else ?? I agree they are expensive at 450 per axle

My HB is a 93 4 cilinder (well , was) but is came with the H233B rear axle and 4.875 gears. Strange world this Nissan axles .. here's a pic on mid page :

SAS conversion page

Last edited by jpvm; 11-12-2003 at 08:04 PM.
jpvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 11425
ok, thanks, it's definitely not that axle, so it's still possible maybe it's the 190. i'll do some comparisons next time i'm at that guys house. hmmm, 5.88's, huh? woulda been nice to know that before i bought a D44 front. there is one set of 5.88's prototyped floating around in a Sportage somewhere in the midwest.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 18822
Extrange axles in Spain....ID??

Dear NISSAN list:
I have a YJ and live in Spain, I normally post at the Jeep list but as I am going to swap in Nissan axles, I have some questions and don´t know if you have the same units in the US.

The NISSAN PATROL GR rear axles we have here are AWESOME that is why we all swap them in. The rear axles are 35mm diameter and 38 at the splines !!!!. Everybody uses NISSANS here you don´t see D60 around...... even if they are available.

The front units are very stout too.

What axles do the US patrols have????

Eduardo
Old 01-01-2004, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 12100
The US Patrols are not a reality unless you are talking about 35 year old junk. That is why we all use d44's and other stuff for our swaps. But please send some pics and stuff about the axles you use! I want to see what all the hype is about that Nissan swap you all do.

Randii
TRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2004, 05:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3778
Re: Extrange axles in Spain....ID??

Quote:
Originally posted by cybersniper
Dear NISSAN list:
I have a YJ and live in Spain, I normally post at the Jeep list but as I am going to swap in Nissan axles, I have some questions and don´t know if you have the same units in the US.

The NISSAN PATROL GR rear axles we have here are AWESOME that is why we all swap them in. The rear axles are 35mm diameter and 38 at the splines !!!!. Everybody uses NISSANS here you don´t see D60 around...... even if they are available.

The front units are very stout too.

What axles do the US patrols have????

Eduardo
Eduardo the best place to look at seriously modded patrols is Australian sites and boards, they GR (Known as a GU here) is quite common and would be the second highest selling large 4x4 in Aus.

The axles on the Hb260 are actually 37 spline and 38.4mm making them oh so slightly heavier than a dana 70.
The GQ (model before the GR\GU) has slightly smaller birfield joints that break a bit more easily, but still take a pounding. There is a place here called CORE engineering that make corefields kinda like a longfeild for a Nissan and they have a very good reputation with the comp guys, and they wheel hard...
guy_r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2004, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 18822
Re: Re: Extrange axles in Spain....ID??

Quote:
Originally posted by guy_r

Eduardo the best place to look at seriously modded patrols is Australian sites and boards, they GR (Known as a GU here) is quite common and would be the second highest selling large 4x4 in Aus.

The axles on the Hb260 are actually 37 spline and 38.4mm making them oh so slightly heavier than a dana 70.
The GQ (model before the GR\GU) has slightly smaller birfield joints that break a bit more easily, but still take a pounding. There is a place here called CORE engineering that make corefields kinda like a longfeild for a Nissan and they have a very good reputation with the comp guys, and they wheel hard...
Thanks for the axle names... WE DO have seriosly modified patrols here too, and we stick the patril axles to everything.....because they are stouter than a D60 and easily obtainable. Thanks for the links

eduardo
Old 01-19-2005, 03:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 41698
Core engineering

I compete in a GQ Patrol in Victoria Aus. It is a modified 4.2L petrol with Garret GT30/40 turbo. I break front C/V's and axles and couldn't locate Core Engineering on the Net. Can you supply contact details as I would be keen to see what they have to offer. Most guys are fitting GU front and read Diff assemblies here as they are stronger.
ShortMav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2005, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 19543
Back to the original question.

For certain, the 720 used the H190 if it had the Hotchkiss-type axle with dropout 3rd. Otherwise you will find a Salisbury-type C200 in the rear. The H233B was not used in the 720. Heresay aside, I know of one guys who wheels his hardbody pretty good and has a Detroit stuffed in that H190.

The Hotchkiss-style axle is not quite as common anymore, some imports still use this design (Toyotas, Kias, the last of the "old" Nissans). The Ford 9" is quite possibly the most well known of that style axle. The commonality is the stamped-steel style axle housing and cast 3rd member. Years ago many manufacturers used that design, Chrysler had a few, Chevrolet, etc. They all look very much the same but with different sizes, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.