Pirate 4x4 banner

AT to MT swap in 89 Pathfinder?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  HMD 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is a newB question.
I am looking at a 1989 Pathfinder SE-V6 AT that needs tranny work:
http://www.ozarkautos.com/89 Pathfinder/89pathfinder.htm
Is it possible to swap in Nissan's MT as a replacement? Or is it more of a PITA than it is worth?

Thanks

Z_Pilot

BTW- I did search through hundreds of posts on a couple of message boards before I asked....

#2 ·
I saw that one on Autotrader over a year ago...

You will need the transmission, engine computer, and a new harness (since the transmission is no longer going to be connected). Driveline lengths are different as well. Find a cheap donor truck.

#4 ·
onlyonedr said:
I saw that one on Autotrader over a year ago...

You will need the transmission, engine computer, and a new harness (since the transmission is no longer going to be connected). Driveline lengths are different as well. Find a cheap donor truck.

I could be wrong, but I didn't think an ECU change would be needed. IIRC, an auto tranny ECU can be used for a manual, but not a manual ECU in an auto.

#5 ·
I have NOT done this type of swap to Pathy, but I've worked on my share of Nissan's in general - One particular job was to swap a manual tranny into a Stanza that used to be an auto. You'll try anything when you're broke and really need wheels to get to work! Luckilly, I ain't so broke any more, but 4 or 5 years later, that Stanza is still my work beater and I never had any computer / engine control issues. (The car costs almost nothing in maintenance and get 32 MPG, so I'll drive it till it blows!) The only thing that I never got right was putting in the neutral safety switch.
Everything went together easily, just tranfered right out of the other car - Nissan does things right - good designs, easy to work on, so I would not think twice about it, just swap it.
good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.