SAS 2 of 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2004, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 23566
Send a message via AIM to SirMrManGuy
SAS 2 of 2

Decided to start a seperate post for my truck to avoid confusion. We started workign on the rear since we are still waiting on brake backing plates for my axle.

Installing my rear coils, flexes damn good for a factory 4link. I'm just going to drop the panhard down for now, eventually I'll extend all the links abit, but the factory links are alright for now. The coils are 4in XJ coils with the pigtail chopped off.

Pulled my 3rd and installed a lockright. This 3rd is beefy, its about 90lbs, which is about twice the weight of a toyota third.

Me working on the Calmini slip yoke elminiator. I hacked off all I could, but the shaft still has the dimple in it from the machining. The purpose of hacking it is to remove the hardened metal, but the dimple goes in past the back of my Tcase and it is still hardened. I called Calmini and they told me that I might need to take my Tcase apart, cut the output shaft farther down and reassemble it, I really dont want to have to do that. I'm going to try and find some carbide tipped metal drill bits tomorrow, and if I cant, I'm going to give up on the SYE for now unless anyone has any better ideas (PLEASE HAVE BETTER IDEAS).

Pics of the dimple.

Pics of the piece that came off.

Pics of the SYE

Old 07-28-2004, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12100
I used all kinds of different bits, and this is what worked. Get a drill bit with a carbide tip that is made for drilling concrete. The bit has a tip like a little wedge welded to the end of a regular bit, it started cutting right away compared to anything else, and went all the way in no problemo. I also had to cut off that much and drill the last tiny amount of the dimple. You might wanna get a new seal and use much silicone sealent in the sye to make sure you get no leaks between the splines and stuff.

Randii
TRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2004, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9140
Send a message via AIM to PathyKid
see....i knew there was a discussion about the bit someone else used somewhere.

what coils you using in the rear? You gonna regear the rear axle? That's an expensive set of gears to get. You probably told me but i forget things quick.

oh and your backing/mounting plates are in the mail

[url]http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/picview.jsp?album=53780[/url]
PathyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 23566
They are 4in XJ coils from Performance Offroad. I already have my set of 5.13s for the rear, cost me $650 from AC . I'm going to drive to colorado on the 4.37s then have the 5.13s put in out there, to save on gas.

Thanks for the plates, do you want me to just paypal you for them or should I write you a check?

I got the pilot hole in the slip yoke drilled up to 1/4in, I started with the 27/64ths bit and got maybe an 1/8th in before it got dull, I'll have to go to grainger supply tomorrow morning and get another.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 12100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMrManGuy

I got the pilot hole in the slip yoke drilled up to 1/4in, I started with the 27/64ths bit and got maybe an 1/8th in before it got dull, I'll have to go to grainger supply tomorrow morning and get another.
Use alot of cutting oil, while you drill put oil on the bit and shaft. Drill with a slow, not fast drill speed. You need to use the smaller bits first so you don't have a problem with dulling and possibly breaking a bit off. And use the carbide tip bit to start and go all the way to the bottom of the hole you are drilling. Then a bigger normal bit will work easier. I stepped it up 3 times before it was done. And the tapping is important to go in alittle and back out, to keep the threads clean. I squirted oil in the end each time I brought the tap out, to flush the shavings out before reinserting the tap.

Randii

Last edited by TRed; 07-29-2004 at 07:11 PM.
TRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 23566
Pic of my crap.

The last staw.

Cutting things. I managed to catch the rubber that fills the gap in the fender on fire, had flames coming out the hood before I put them out, scared both of us.

The front end came off pretty eaisly, only took us about 30 minutes to rough torch everything off. The only hang up was me forgetting to pull the driveshaft and the centerlink getting caught in the pitman as it fell.

Down

Old 07-31-2004, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 23566
Made my panhard drop down bracket today, its adjustable for 4-7in of drop. We got the plasma working nice today (it wasnt cutting straight before) and used it to notch out the front.

My welds weren't the best today, was using some old non preheated 7018 rod so it was sputtering alot on me.

Threw the rear tires on, I need to trim the front of the wheel well a bit. I may also extend my links a bit when I get back to school(and have some money for some johnny joints) to move the axle back 2in or so. Looks damn good though, I got about 5.5in of lift.

Panhard angle looks good, I may move it up one as the springs settle down.

SirMrManGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 23566
Made my springs mounts

Finished rebuilding my axle. Incase you forgot, the specs are 5.13 gears, fullcase Detroit Locker, stock shafts, upgraded Ujoints, Chevy flattops, Shakerbuilt steering arm, wagoneer calipers/rotors, and Warn hubs.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 23566
Pic of my rear spring hanger, we used the rod to line everything up while we tacked it inplace. The vertical pieces are welded to the inside of the frame.

Who said stick welds look like crap?!

Got it on 4 wheels for the first time in two weeks. Still need to mount shocks, get steering made, relocate the exhaust cross tube, build a new transmission crossmember, regear the rear axle and do some finish welding.

The front sits about 4in nose high, we are going to pull the smallest leaf from the pack and work from there. Sorry everything is so dark, I'll take some more pics today.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 30435
Did you ever finish?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 23566
Still working on it, I bougth the wrong flat top steering arm, so I had to exhcange it. I pulled the rear 3rd to get the 5.14s put in, so I'm just waiting for the those two things to come back. Other than that, I need to bleed the brakes and hookup the shocks.

I built a tcase skid last week.

Under the truck

Old 10-08-2004, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 17542
What front springs are you using for the front? Ford EB 44 front axle? Tire size? Sorry..new to the Nissan world..just trying to learn

Jimbo
Big Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 23566
33in MTRs, the front axle is a Wagoneer D44, the springs are EB rear lift springs. Wagoneer springs, CJ/YJ springs and Toyota leaves are also popular to use.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 35323
looking good dude, keep them pics coming
fsjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 30435
So did you get the pieces you where waiting for and get it together?