Getting 1986 PU 2WD - needs tranny. Need info. Plannnig SAS. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2004, 05:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
FX2

Member # 11781
Send a message via ICQ to FX2
Getting 1986 PU 2WD - needs tranny. Need info. Plannnig SAS.

Hello folks! I am a Toyota guy but I ran accross one ad and I am planning to purchase this rig - it's an 1986 PU 2WD with Z24i motor for $1700 USD. It's got A/C, body is in descent shape. As I am stuck with my LandCruiser project I need a DD for now but in Summer of 2005 I plan to do SAS on this Nissan. At the moment it needs a tranny. The existing one wows. My question is: can I buy a tranny with x-case out of Pathfinder I with similar motor (Z24i 1986-1989) and will it just bolt on? What about rear driveline?
I am in Russia and there are no trucks. There are lot's of Pathfinders and spare parts for them are easy to get.
If it's an easy bolt on solution - I will be able to swap tranny with x-case and then wait for Summer to connect front drive line and do SAS. Please let me know if tranny from Pathfinder will bolt on to 1986 PU?
Thanks a lot,
Andrey
PS. Here is a pic of it

1981 Toyota TLC BJ44-V (2B 3.2D) 4.88 PTO Winch X-Steering SPOA Tubed
1986 Nissan D21 Hardbody Z24i Patrol frame swap
Moscow, Russia[/SIZE][list][/list]
FX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 27420
The rear drive shaft will have to be custom. Cut down in length, and i believe the trucks have a two piece shaft. The pathys are a one piece.
Hillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2004, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
FX2

Member # 11781
Thanks for the info. I will try to use my brain this weekend to make a decision on purchasing this rig.
Cheers,
Andrey

Old 08-27-2004, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 27420
Alot of guys are doing what you are planning, but they rarly will use a Pathys Trans and Case as it is a one piece unit, a stock tranny from the nissan and a devorced transfer case from a toyota or 4wd nissan p/u such as the 720 is a much better idea.
Hillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 11064
Send a message via AIM to XterraGuy
Hi there. You should hook up with the First Moscow Nissan 4x4 Offroad Club:
http://www.nissan-4x4.ru/

Good luck,
Brent
XterraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
FX2

Member # 11781
Hey guys, I bought the truck. Motor seems to be ok, body needs some minor welding and may be a paint job. I am planning this PU as DD.
XterraGuy - thanks for the lead, I've hooked up with First Moscow Nissan 4x4 Offroad Club but the problem that these guys are more mostly experts on Terano\Pathfinder and Patrols. I bought from the them fuel pump because mine died a week ago.
I am in Russia and my truck is US California model. It's got MPH speedo and all smog tubes. I started to price parts - not easy to find, most stuff needs to be ordered. There are almost no PUs in Moscow, mostly Pathfinders. Parts are available for Euro models such as Terano. My trannny is dead - 1st, 3rd and 5th gears throws out, almost impossible to shift, when motor runs. It grinds like a crazy, when I am trying to shift in reverse. Also, when in 1st gear cars starts to move like it's an automatic. There is gotta be a drag in clutch cover. This weekend I took tranny out, drained some goo out of it, found metall pieces in the goo and small bearings. Tranny is shot.
Since it's almost impossible to find a tranny replacement my only option would be tranny and x-case from Pathfinder. However, I would be able to take Pathfinder tranny and swap rear tranmission case. That way I'd be able to keep my driveshaft. Prices in Moscow for tranny out of Pathfinder with Z24i - $700-1200.
There are no 720 Datsun PUs. All I got is Pathfinder/Terano and Patrol parts. I want to find out if I can use tranny out of Nissan Vannete or Urvan vans. I've been told that they use they same transmission as 2WD PU.
My front end is shot - all ball joints are dead, bushings are worn out and I need to replace idler arm - the car is all over the road. $230 for each rear lower control arm with ball joint.
I am thinking that I would get tranny and x-case with rear drive line from 4WD Pathfinder and then do SAS later on in the front. I am very limited to what I can find in junk yards in Moscow. Therefore Pathfinder unit is my only choice - please let me know what do you think. Also, I can use non-original 2WD front suspension replacement parts and I will save some $$ then.
This weekend I bought a clutch cover for Euro Pathfinder (Terano) for Z24i motor and it didn't fit me.
I can provide you with my VIN. I'd like to know what parts from my '86 PU are interchangable with Pathfinder.

Thanks,
Andrey

Old 09-14-2004, 10:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 34948
The tranny will bolt up, assuming it comes from the same size engine.

As for other parts, there probably isn't much that will work for you off of a pathfinder/terrano. Is yours a 720 or a D21? The D21 started at 86.5 so an '86 model could refer to either. The easiest way to tell is the 720 has 4 headlights on the front and the D21 has 2.

If it's a D21 then the pathfinder parts will be more likely to fit.
bgaidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 16241
Send a message via ICQ to Russian
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan
The tranny will bolt up, assuming it comes from the same size engine.

As for other parts, there probably isn't much that will work for you off of a pathfinder/terrano. Is yours a 720 or a D21? The D21 started at 86.5 so an '86 model could refer to either. The easiest way to tell is the 720 has 4 headlights on the front and the D21 has 2.

If it's a D21 then the pathfinder parts will be more likely to fit.
here's FX2 truck. it's D21.

we found new lower arms-balljoints assembly for $54, idler arm assembly for $60, so seems it will live with stock front suspension till next summer

Re: tranny we've got very interesting offer - gearbox/tcase assembly from rare '8x Nissan Patrol with Z24S engine. main thing that it has right (passenger) side oriented drivelines, so there're lot more options for sas axles - for example 8" or 9" toyotas or nissan patrol or whatever!
Russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 11064
Send a message via AIM to XterraGuy
If you provide your VIN, I can pull up part numbers and cross-reference information for your truck and other US models. For 4x4s, the Z24i was almost exclusively used in the D21 and 720 trucks. The 87 and 88 Pathfinder had it as well, but the majority of Pathfinders here had the V6 engine. The Nissan Van (GC22, your Vannette) also used it, but the vehicle was prone to fires and Nissan recalled and later bought back every one they could. There are only a very small number of them still in service here.

Come to think of it, if you like I could hook you up with the Nissan software that I have that allows part number and cross-reference look-ups for US vehicles. That should save you a lot of headaches. It's a little hard to learn how to use, but it's extremely helpful, but it knows nothing of Russian models/specifications. BUT, I also have the same software for the European market, which is most likely very similar to the Russian market. It won't bridge the USA/Euro-Russian gap, but will certainly help you find Euro-Russian interchange information.
Email me if you are interested, click "OffroadX" to the left of this post.

Brent
XterraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
FX2

Member # 11781
XterraGuy - just pm-ed you with my VIN. Thanks in advance.

I and Russian have come to decision to do frame swap on my truck. Here is a plan. We are getting 2 stripped frames of Patrol LWB for free. LWB 160/260 Patrol wheel base is 3000mm, mine (D21 Hardbody Singlecab) is 2950mm - 2 inches (50mm) difference (wheels will fit in D21 wheel weels, will move front axle 2" up front).
Friend of ours got a short wheel base Patrol chassis with Patrol axels (suspected with 4.87 r&p 9.5") with custom springs suspension (bye-bye leafs). This chassis's got same motor Z24 bolted to Patrol 4 spd undestructable transmission and x-case and drivelines (He's asking $1000 for it but it's negotiable). Here is our plan:
1. Cut off spring suspension mounts and welded 'em to LWB Patrol frame. Sandblast the frame, reinforce it, make D21 body new body mounts.
2. Put on the prepared frame axles, suspension, my motor, tranny and x-case and driveshafts (I'd need LWB Patrol rear driveshaft and relocate D21 fuel tank)
3. Put on new rolling chassis pick-up body that needs to be welded and painted.
In the end I should I have freshly painted rust free Hardbody with Z24i sitting on Patrol's reinforced freshly painted frame with 9.5" 4.87 axles in front (instant SAS) and in the rear, all springs suspension, Patrol power steering (no more weak idler arm), icluding spare Z24 motor.
The estimated cost is the about the same compared with my original 2WD transmission rebuld parts cost and fixing the front end (ball-joints and rubber bushings). I've purchased the truck from $1800 and I think investing $1K to make it sprung 4WD SAS with 9.5" axles is a good deal.
Go solid axles!
Andrey

Old 09-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 23566
Send a message via AIM to SirMrManGuy
Sounds like an excelent plan! I wish we had Patrols here so we could do things like that. Keep us posted on your progress.