720 SAS help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2004, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 35323
720 SAS help

Anyone have or seen any nissan 720's SAS'd? My dad has an 84 4x4 king cab and we are starting his project, junking the box for a flat deck, exo, bob the frame, new drivers floor pan, and swaping in a solid front toyota axle. We just have to figure out what springs to run for the front and rear, I am a welder/fabricator at work so I have access to a plasma cutter and other fun tools so making up new hangers and such is not hard.

I am not sure what we will have to do for the steering(box, pitman arm, hysteer?) So far my dad plans to run 35" M/T tires, possibly 36" swampers.

Anyone have any suggestions or tech/links that would be of help, that would be very much appreciate

cheers Dwain
fsjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13270
Send a message via AIM to rednekit
i ran chevy s 10 in the rear and f 150's in the front and i have no complaints
though new hangers will be a must in the front
the rear hangers are wide enough you will have to relocate the mounting hole.

for what it is worth
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2004, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 27420
My buddy and I are doing the planning for a 720 swap. For the rear we already swapped in a nissan H233b, Reason for that is that is that its a bolt on axle, drive shaft fits ect and the gearing is lower than stock(and it was free). For the front we are using a D44 from a Waggy. Steering parts are easily avail, Cheby flat tops, and crossover..
The nissan 4.625 gears and waggy 4.56's should alow u to run 35's.
Hillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 30169
When I did it I used the rears from a YJ, I used stock springs but If you get 2.5 or 3" springs that should give you plenty of room. Most toy guy seem to think stock springs give about 2-2.5 lift on a toy, I assumed about the same for the 720. The springs are cheap and flex is very good. The rears have 6 leafs, the frounts are 5 leaf and have the same dimensions.
GoodOleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 35323
what did you guys do for steering then? Did you use the nissan steering box or something different? I have a line on a free front toyota diff housing and some of the other parts for it, and some free springs. We are going to use the factory rear nissan diff, it has welded 4.37's in there now and someone I know has the same gear ratio in a toyota 3rd member.

Thanks again for your guys input

cheers Dwain
Old 09-11-2004, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 26042
Send a message via MSN to jesusno2
man if i was doing that swap i'd throw some yota rear springs in the frt they flex good and also move the frt axle ahead 1.5 inches so your tires stay clear of the fire wall plus you get a little lift out of them and their cheap as hell and i would use a yota ps box also to match with crossover steering
Old 09-11-2004, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 35323
sweet, thanks for the input, much appreciate it.

cheers
Old 09-12-2004, 05:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 32053
also might look into chevy 57" or 62" rear springs. supposed to be about 3" of lift on a yota, so should be close to the same on the 720. post some pics of your swap, got a 720 4x4 with a diesel in it i've been thinking of swappin a solid axle in.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 35323
I will definately keep you posted and I take pics of everything I do. Havent started the SAS yet, just replacing a couple of rotten floor board sections and doing the flatdeck first, then the SAS begins. Pics to come
Old 09-14-2004, 07:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 35323
just picked up a toy solid front axle complete, steering linkage, and rear toy springs and shackles for a steal of a deal, the guy is going to give me a set of 63" rear chevy springs as well, he owns an auto wrecker about 150km away from my house
Old 09-16-2004, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 30169
I used the stock steering box its been a while but, I belive the pitman are has a ball joint. We cut it out and made a bushing to replace it with a hole in the center, then use a hemi on that end.
GoodOleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11064
Send a message via AIM to XterraGuy
There was a guy here, can't recall his name/handle, that had two or three SAS-ed 620 and 720 trucks in his family. Hopefully he'll show up or someone will remember and ping him.
XterraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 35323
here are some pics so far of the project

just got the front tacked in and going to start the rear, will make all the gussets and weld everything up at once....more pics to come

enjoy
Old 10-03-2004, 05:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 35750
Keep us updated, I'm getting ready ot start on my own SAS after I do some minor engine work.
projckt_Wldkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 35323
will do for sure, been a little slow the last week or so, been sick and also sourcing some parts. I have been playing around with the ideas for the front shaft, I would like to do a square d-shaft up front, using a toy front flange at the diff, and a toy double cardan at the t-case, but the splines and output shaft sizes are different between the nissan and the toyota trucks. Looking at the nissan front and rear output flange yoke, they are different, the front is too small for the toy double cardan, so I think I will use a nissan rear output flange yoke and just redrill the holes offset to match the toy stuff, and go from there. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to share....more to come

Cheers Dwain
Old 10-03-2004, 06:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 35750
Are you still using the stock t-case?
Old 10-03-2004, 07:53 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 35323
Quote:
Originally Posted by projckt_Wldkat
Are you still using the stock t-case?
yes, for now at least, next spring dad wants to do a small block swap so we'll probably go dual t-cases when that happens, if he changes his mind about this swap then we'll figure something else out.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:09 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 35323
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOleBoy
I used the stock steering box its been a while but, I belive the pitman are has a ball joint. We cut it out and made a bushing to replace it with a hole in the center, then use a hemi on that end.
yes the pitman arm is the way you described......what did you use for arms, did you go with a hysteer kit of some kind and then just change the one end at the pitman arm, or did you do something different for arms and linkage assembly? Thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2004, 10:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 35750
Is the driveline a straight shot from the t-case to the front axle? I heard that the Nissan had a center diff, not a left or right side drop. This is great, getting most of my questions now.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 35323
the driveline isnt quite straight, but it wasnt from the factory either, I always thought they were, but it was a little offset to the drivers side, now its offset about the same towards the passenger side, I was a little worried about that because the nissan has a funny shaped oilpan, but with the weight on the springs there is a ton of room still between the oilpan and the diff. I used a jack and flexed it out some and it didnt even come close to hitting. Any more questions shoot them my way, if I can answer them I will, but I am just dealing with some things as I go along, steering and d-shafts will be the next thing besides the rear spring swap, and a friend is building me some stainless braided brake lines as well.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 35750
Kickass, sorry if I'm jacking your thread, but I am about to do the samething. Looks like you're doing a great job, keep it up.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:40 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 35323
no worries
Old 10-04-2004, 05:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 35323
I found something interesting today, while searching around for a nissan divorced t-case rear flange yoke to put on the front of the t-case(the front flange yoke is a lot smaller in diameter), I didnt find any nissan stuff at the wrecking yard, but I did find a t-case on the shelf that said it was from an 84 suzuki, and it had the identical flange yoke on it, tried the nissan yoke on the zuki t-case and it matched, just interesting and thought I would share that with others.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:43 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 35323
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrooperLX
i was just browsing, good job on your SAS so far. cool project. that is interesting that the yokes match up. with my rig, i put toyota shit into my isuzu, theres alot that matches, like axle width, brakelines, etc.

let's see some more pics. here's a pic of mine.

nice trooper, thanks for the compliment....What did you end up doing for a front shaft on your trooper? Did you end up running the trooper t-case and trans or toyota as well? What steering box are you running? Just curious as to what you did for the pitman arm and linkage, what highsteer arms are you running? Cheers Dwain

one more question....what springs you running front and rear?

Last edited by fsjeep1; 10-04-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 35750
Hey TrooperLX, nice looking rig, I saw driving around Lynnwood a couple of times before I left for school.