Automatic locking hub? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 5727
Automatic locking hub?

I was replacing a rotor on my sister in laws 2000 frontier yesterday and somehow pulled the automatic hub apart and I can't get it back togeter. It's the spring that holds a plastic piece together with a metal one. It goes on right before the snap ring.
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the spring back on?
Or if I can buy just that piece.

Thanks.
The Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11064
Send a message via AIM to XterraGuy
How did you manage that? Did this happen before or after you had removed the snap ring? I know there are two how-tos for swapping to manual hubs out there, both of which have the glaring error of stating you should remove half of this assembly, then the snap ring, then the rest, which results in what you're dealing with now and the auto hubs useless as spares unless repaired.
It CAN be reassembled, I've done it myself, but it's a ROYAL bitch, I'd highly recommend cleaning everything throughly, grease only makes it more fun. It's likely you will break a portion of the plastic piece in the process of wrestling with it, I did, but it's been OK for a couple of years now with it reassembled with the plastic part in two pieces, the spring and metal portions keep it in position.

I can't quite describe the order/orientation of the parts, best bet is to take the other hub off to compare the assembly. Remember, 6 bolts for the cap, THEN the snap ring right away, and you can then pull the rest off the spindle in one piece.

And no, you can't just buy that part, it's sold only with the complete hub assembly. I've got a handful of spare auto hubs, but I don't think at this point that I have any that are kaput that I would be game to pilfer the part from to send you no charge. If you do need the part, I'll double-check, or I could sell you an entire hub for a few bucks.
Shoot me an email, I don't get here but about once a week.

Good luck,
Brent

Last edited by XterraGuy; 09-17-2004 at 09:04 AM.
XterraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links