99 frontier SAS - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2004, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 38075
99 frontier SAS

hey guys i was wondering if u could help me w/ some info on doin a SAS on my 99 2wd frontier, anything major modifications need to be made, any info or instructions would be a help
MightyMouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11064
Send a message via AIM to XterraGuy
Well, most that have done it have been 4WD owners, but the axle of choice is a Dana 44 from an 80's Jeep Wagoneer. It has a driver's-side pumpkin to match the 4x4 Nissan driver's-side front driveshaft output on the transfer case. An axle from an early Ford Bronco is also an option. Both are a pretty good match width-wise and have the same 6 on 5.5" lug pattern you have now.
Being a 2WD, you aren't necessarily limited in that regard, you could run about any axle you wanted since you will have to add a transfer case and could use a right-output unit if you wished. I'd still suggest a left-output t-case/diff setup though because your oil pan would be in the way of the front driveshaft unless you plan to jack it real tall.
You could swap in a 4x4 transmission and transfer case pair out of a Frontier, Xterra, or Pathfinder and go from there, but if I were in your shoes I would consider putting in a separate/divorced transfer case of some sort. The real problem with a divorced case would be finding a way to handle a shift linkage, especially with a regular cab. A king cab would still be a challenge, but not as difficult since it does have some decent floor space behind the transmission to bring the lever up through. There may be a remote-shift t-case option that would be suitable, I don't know much about those alternatives.

The t-case options are probably where to start, along with how tall you would like to go. If you go tall enough, you don't have to worry about the oil pan and driveshaft clearance, and can then have your pick of transfer case and axles (a Yota axle would be a good choice), but again, keep in mind that a divorced case will have to go several inches behind your transmission output and maybe tough to integrate depending on your cab configuration.
You will also need to ensure you can match the gear ratio(s) available for your front diff selection to your factory rear. Are you a V6 or 4-cylinder, H233b or C200 rear diff, and which ratio do you have now? The axle code from your door jamb sticker (CAxx or HGxx) will have the diff info. Your engine, and choice of gear ratios, will also dictate what size tires you would be able to run to some degree. Keep in mind that gears for a Nissan diff aren't cheap, over $400 a set.

Then you need to decide what sort of front suspension you want. Leaf springs (simple, good potential if done smartly), or link/coil? If you go link/coil, you have the choice of a 3-link radius arm setup (fairly straight-forward and already done a few times) or a conventional 3 or 5 link setup (more complicated, and there may not be enough room for a 5-link anyway).

Custom driveshafts will be needed of course, and you'll need to do something to the rear to bring it up a bit since the 2WD have the leaf springs under the axle. Swapping to a 4WD rear suspension setup would be a good start, they have the leafs on top of the axle, that would get the rear up a few inches right off the bat, probably all you would need to match the front unless you're going more than conservatively taller.

Brent

Last edited by XterraGuy; 11-08-2004 at 09:06 AM.
XterraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2004, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11064
Send a message via AIM to XterraGuy
Oh, and how did you miss the thread from a couple of days ago titled "99 nissan frontier solid axle swap/4x4 conversion" anyway, not that it has much info in it...
/forum/nissan/299780-99-nissan-frontier-solid-axle-swap-4x4-conversion.html
XterraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 38075
thanks a ton for the info, well first off, ya i saw that posting, it was actually my frend that did it, but we didnt get a good response so i decided to do it on my username, anyways its a 99 frontier, xe, king cab, 5 speed, 4 cyl.

im planning on doing a rear axle swap too (yota axle most likely) and getting some arched chevy springs for the front and rear, and spring over of course. probly going to go with about an 8" lift w/ 35's to start out w/ (or something close to that at least)

last thing is, any major problems w/ the swap that i should expect? are steering components pretty straight forward or does it get complicated/expensive?

thanks again for the info
MightyMouse99 is offline   Reply With Quote