01 Frontier suspension problems - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Nissan
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 07:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 37837
Angry 01 Frontier suspension problems

I'm hoping some of you may have the same issue with your lifted Frontier.... I bought the Calmini 3" lift about a year ago and put it on and everything was great. After about 12k miles the truck developed an extreme shimmy at times (randomly on different roads). I called Calmini and they said they had developed a steering system now and recommended I buy that, so I did and put it on. In the instructions the center drag link specified 30 5/8" length so I put it all together like it said, drove the truck and it would'nt drive over 45mph without excessive shimmy. I called Calmini and they said make the center drag link the same length as the stock one.... well it just happened to be 30 5/8". I took it to Les Schwabb for alignment and their response was that the pitman arm and the idler arms should be parallel and that was the problem. At 30 5/8" the two are toed in quite a bit. I took it home, adjusted it to the best I could parallel, called Calmini and explained it to them and their response was " it's not 30 5/8" but it should be similar length to the stock length and it's not our kit, you must have something else wrong..." Come on, give me a break... So at this point the trucks pitman arm and idler arms are aligned parallel and the center drag link measures about 31 3/8" and the truck drives for the most part but goes into a wild shimmy whenever I hit a wierd bump or surface in the road and I'm not sure what to do next. I live in Portland Oregon and would be open to bringing the truck to a 4x4 shop that has installed Calmini stuff but I don't know any...and I'd like to fix it myself.
I thought of a steering stabalizer... I just wish everything would work and I could get decent support from Calmini. I view this as a safety hazard and a huge annoyance.

Any help would be appreciated... I'm a diehard Nissan fan but I am losing my patience on this truck and I've lost it with Calmini.
Pete510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 21434
First question, any of your wheels bent? I get a shimmy from a bent wheel when it's rotated to the front.

Second, have you jacked it up and checked it by wiggling the wheels? Do that and you should be able to find whats "loose" if it's in the linkage.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2004, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 37837
The wheels aren't bent. They are a slightly different offset though... There is nothing loose in the linkage either. I've checked all linkage for tightness. It drives down the road fine sometimes and other times it develops the wobble.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 21434
Just going down the list of possibilities.

Did you jack the front and wiggle the wheels? When you did/do try wiggling them top and bottom, if they wiggle that way it could be in the hub bearings.

How recently were the wheels checked for balance?

Is there any play in the steering wheel while sitting still?
Old 11-10-2004, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 37837
Visited another line up shop today and he seemed to know what he was doing. He had seen this same problem in the 50's and 60's on 4x4 trucks and had a good feeling he could identify the problem. We'll see..... One - he said the tracking arm had to be adjusted so the idler arm and the pitman arm align with the frame rails before toe in is adjusted. Schwabb told me that but didn't want to adjust it themselves, I don't know why. Two - he felt it sounded like something was loose (makes sense...) so I'll check all that myself before I bring it in.
I didn't ask him about wheel offset but I don't think that should play into the problem.
I'll leet you know when it's fixed and what the problem was.
Thanks for responding.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 27777
Sounds like your alignment guy didn't know what he was doing, but calmini customer service isn't much to write home about, either.
Packman5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 17554
It's not steering related. More likely you have a wheel badly out of balance or you have dead balljoints. Possibly bad/loose wheel bearings.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 37837
Well....I have closure... I took it to another alignment shop and he aligned the pitman arm, idler arm, toe, etc. and checked all ball joints, bolts and arms for tightness. Everything was perfect and the truck still went into a wobble at 40-45. I talking severe enough that it wouldn't drive. I would have to put on the brakes and pull over to get it to quit. So I thought the only thing left is the tires or the offset of the wheels. I took off the aftermarket wheels which were 16x8, 0 offset and tires and put on the stock 16 x 7 40mm offset (?) with new tires and the problem went away. So far it's driving like it's supposed to. I'm going to go back to the tire store where I bought the aftermarket set and rebalance them, although I don't think it's just rebalancing. Maybe get them adjusted for new ones. Hopefully if anyone else has a similar problem they can learn from my experience....
Old 11-17-2004, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 33032
Send a message via AIM to FrontCC
when i put the calmini steering on the guy doing the alignment afterwards adjusted the centerlink for me to align it (30 5/8" was hard to get)...but i guess that wasnt your issue anyways
FrontCC is offline   Reply With Quote